Why inaccurate all of the sudden?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oOVEGGIEOo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
With my bow? I was just fine a week ago. Practiced every day at 40 yards. Was getting 4inch groups or so. Even robin hooded at that range. Then the serving on my peep site snapped. Now I am all over the place at 40 yards. Most of them are still within the kill zone. But it is bugging the fire out of me. Could be lack of sleep, paranoia of losing more arrows, or just plain shanking. Idk..anyone have any tips?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to say man, I'm a novice at best, so the only advice I can give is to start at the beginning. I have been shooting daily for the past month and satisfied with everything, just dead on. Took a couple of days off and shot yesterday and I was just all over the freakin target. I felt like I was starting all over again. So I went through all the steps, watching my breathing, not gripping the bow tight, and following through, etc. By my third round I was right back on target. I had been gripping the bow too tight and twisting it a bit causing me to be off, but never realized it until I started going through everything step by step. Since your problem started post-mechanical failure, that might be part or all of the issue. But don't forget your basics either!

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, had it fixed that day. No movement what soever.
If you were here I would offer to go shoot with you but this is all I can offer.

1) Make sure your peep is still aligned to your eye. Close your eyes draw your bow and come to anchor then open your eyes, the peep should be right there and you should not have to move your head or adjust. If not adjust your peep till it is this way. The servings on either side of the peep will slide up and down to allow this to happen.
2) Take the day off and forget about it. Sometimes our mind is our own worst enemy. Relax and have fun with your practice session.
3) Start over again and focus on the basics. Start close 10yrds or less. Dont focus on the accuracy as much as form. Make sure your form is perfect.
4) Start slowly moving back again building confidence as you go. Don't move out unless you are perfectly comfortable with the previous range.
5) Do not shoot the same exact dot over and over. Pick differnt spots to shoot at each time. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for target panic.
6) Pay attention to your release. If you feel that you are just all of the sudden shooting (not a surprise release but a why the heck did I shoot release) you are in the begining stages of target panic. Google it and start working on it now. This is a whole different complex issue.
7) RELAX AND HAVE FUN!!!! When you start getting tired or stressed. STOP!!!!! You are going to make things worse. This is supposed to be fun.

Good luck. I've been there before. You'll get through it.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bigcountryok has excellent advice. As a former sufferer of target panic I can tell you it is a nightmare. If that is what is coming on, back off and just rest awhile. I can tell you stories of mine but basically, it took me a couple years to conquer it. If that is not your problem, one other thing that drove me nuts and cost me a turkey one year is the serving under the nock was loose andthe nock was moving up and down. It was hard to tell it for awhile. Good luck and pm me if I can help any more.

oOVEGGIEOo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shot at lunch. Still have some work to do. But it is better. Form is my main problem, then rushing my shots, followed by paranoia.

#1. I wasn't focusing on my back tension. I pull 70lbs. And wasn't using my back muscles to hold it.
#2. My grip was to tight, better than previous years, but I pretty much just rested the bow in that web there this time.
#3. Not waiting for a more steady shot. kept punching the trigger, and in combination with the other two, torqued my bow like mad.

Good up to 30 yards at the moment.

Latest posts

Top Bottom