Why Privacy Matters Even if You Have 'Nothing to Hide'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://chronicle.com/article/Why-Privacy-Matters-Even-if/127461/

When the government gathers or analyzes personal information, many people say they're not worried. "I've got nothing to hide," they declare. "Only if you're doing something wrong should you worry, and then you don't deserve to keep it private."

The nothing-to-hide argument pervades discussions about privacy. The data-security expert Bruce Schneier calls it the "most common retort against privacy advocates." The legal scholar Geoffrey Stone refers to it as an "all-too-common refrain." In its most compelling form, it is an argument that the privacy interest is generally minimal, thus making the contest with security concerns a foreordained victory for security.

It's a bit of a read but it's worth it.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
officer:
"you've got nothing to hide, why not let us have a look?"

me:
"you've got nothing to find, so why waste your time?"

... didn't go over well. got searched anyway.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i.imgur.com_Xb7V3Ck.jpg

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The fact that someone has to write an article to argue the point is testament enough that our citizens deserve whatever pain may be coming in the future. That anyone could believe that it's OK for the government to spy on you "if you have nothing to hide" is beyond stupid.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the Federal code is estimated at 17,000 pages, it can be assumed that every single citizen has committed a felony of some kind. Actually, some say as many as 3 felonies from each citizen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom