Wichita Mtns.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday I had to make a trip up to the city and on the way back took a detour through the refuge. I have drove through there countless time and seen quite a few critters. Anyways my wife was with me and we seen more than we expected to see. We seen the usual buffalo and long horns but we seen a huge bull elk, turkeys, red fox, coyote(bedded 10 yds. right off the road staring at us as we stopped to look and finally got up and moved off), and not one but two(2) of the biggest BUCKS I have ever laid eyes on. I barely caught a glimpse of them and thought they were elk, I stopped and backed up and got the bino's out and I kid you not, these were huge deer. They both looked like twins, both had split G-2's and my wife and I watched them for about 5 minutes. Thankfully there wasn't any traffice at that time. But that was amazing to see 2 huge monster bucks and I bet both would score in the upper 170's if not better. And they were not inside the high fence which made it even better.

Make me want to draw a deer tag even more for there...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only been there a few times, but I love being able to see that many critters at one place. I got some pics of some huge bucks from there. If I have time tonight I'll post them.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i use to go on the elk tours they have in fall at the refuge not to look at elk though but look at the whitetails.i have seen some of the biggest bucks i have ever seen is in there.one time on the bus somebody says stop there is a elk and some people were saying look at big that elk is.it was'nt no elk it by far one the biggest bucks i ever seen i would bet the farm it would gross 200 in

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those were decoys to try and catch poachers. There are very few deer and elk at all so don't try to get drawn there for their elk and deer hunts. Everyone should know Wildlife Refuges are the worst possible place to hunt for truly wild game.

All kiddiing aside. I've had some terrific hunts there the times that I've been drawn.

Latest posts

Top Bottom