Should I butcher pigs early?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We raised hogs growing up. Had a route to local schools everyday for the lunch room scrap trash cans. We brought clean ones with us to exchange. We also had a guy from Rainbow Bakery bring us two loads a week of messed up, old, burnt, squished bakery goods that was ruined.

Might check with your local schools, restaurants and such to cut your feed bill down.

We fed on average 150 at a time.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We raised hogs growing up. Had a route to local schools everyday for the lunch room scrap trash cans. We brought clean ones with us to exchange. We also had a guy from Rainbow Bakery bring us two loads a week of messed up, old, burnt, squished bakery goods that was ruined.

Might check with your local schools, restaurants and such to cut your feed bill down.

We fed on average 150 at a time.
Schools wont give away scraps or left over food anymore. Landfill

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd butcher the runt and save a little money on fed and fatten up the larger hog. She isn't goign to get much bigger if at all and she'll eat you out of house and home. We had a cow that was a runt and butchered it and of course all the steaks etc were small as expected. It was a poor investment on our part.

Latest posts

Top Bottom