Breeding pigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I will be purchasing our first pigs in the next couple weekends. We’re getting into it to breed our own. I’d like to do Berkshire or duroc, but man those things can get HUGE.

So I was leaning towards a Kunekune or IPP.

The pen for the pigs will be about 2 acres and I’m hoping to save on feed by going with pigs that pasture well.

Anyone raise these pigs and know a good local farm with them? I’m not looking for show pigs.

I’m looking to purchase a couple boars and 2-3 sows. Obviously I’d like cheap so I’m looking for piglets but would be open to larger ones.

I want good bacon, but we eat an insane amount of pulled pork and sausage. My 5 y/o can pack away ribs like a teenager. Lol.

Any suggestions on local auctions with healthy animals or pig breeder inputs.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I get pigs I figure I'll go with these folks. Wanna go out and "chew the fat" for a few minutes and pick their brains, they literally have their phone number on the hompage saying to call them if you wanna talk about pigs, lol. I figure theyre open for it, and their bacon prices are good compared to what I find myself paying for good bacon. They sell, breed, and raise Tamworths, which is a bacon pig.

https://baconacresfarm.com/

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you don't need two boars for three sows. durocs or hamps should be fine. you don't pasture hogs you feed them but they will root up any grass or trees you have and eat the roots. don't let your piglets get huge before slaughtering them either. remember one sow will have 12 piglets sometimes more and can have more than one litter a year,so you will be covered in pigs real quick with three sows. pigs are real good at feed conversion so plan on feeding them for max production. get a farrowing crate and electric fence. don't over produce your market!!!!!

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you just raised a few feeder pigs yet? Ya might consider starting with that before going “whole hog” into breeding

I wouldn’t count on saving much by pasturing on 2 acres. A few pigs will destroy it in short order. Table scraps can help save a bit on feed but the majority of their diet should really just be a proper grain ration

I’d go with smaller enclosures, with multiple pens for separating, maybe with a lane in the middle. When one pen gets heavily soiled it’s nice to be able to just lead them into an adjacent pen.

You’ll need the boar enclosures to be built strong when you’re separating them from sows

I’ve butchered durocs/hampshires/kunekune etc.. personally I prefer the carcass type and meat of the traditional meat breeds, I’m not a big fan of the kunekune

Duroc grow fast and quickly reach that 250lb-300lb butcher weight.

I know a couple folks around Tuttle who sell meat pigs. What area are you located?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pigs are always hungry. Red wattle/ Duroc cross with a little mangalista .
IMG_20230712_201655513.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of the kunekune
My brother had kunekunes a few years ago. They are a grazing pig, and he had them grazing on about five acres, but to get them to put on significant weight, he had to feed them, just like any other breed. As a result, he switched to different breeds, but I don't recall which ones.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and daughters raise some pigs. They’ve got American Guinea Hogs and Mangalitzas (spelling?). They said they’ve got some young ones for sale. I know they sell many and many are repeat customers but it seems the herd keeps growing. The ones for sale are 12 weeks right now.

Oh and my crew keeps them behind electric poultry netting. It’s about a 50 foot circle and they move it around every once in a while.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you just raised a few feeder pigs yet? Ya might consider starting with that before going “whole hog” into breeding

I wouldn’t count on saving much by pasturing on 2 acres. A few pigs will destroy it in short order. Table scraps can help save a bit on feed but the majority of their diet should really just be a proper grain ration

I’d go with smaller enclosures, with multiple pens for separating, maybe with a lane in the middle. When one pen gets heavily soiled it’s nice to be able to just lead them into an adjacent pen.

You’ll need the boar enclosures to be built strong when you’re separating them from sows

I’ve butchered durocs/hampshires/kunekune etc.. personally I prefer the carcass type and meat of the traditional meat breeds, I’m not a big fan of the kunekune

Duroc grow fast and quickly reach that 250lb-300lb butcher weight.

I know a couple folks around Tuttle who sell meat pigs. What area are you located?
I’ve learned that going full boar into things is just how I do it. I always start thinking I’m going to be super cautious and patient and it never works out that way.

If I can’t find what I’m looking for close I’ll do the couple of feeder pigs to start. I just know with the amount of pork my kid eats, we’re gonna want to finance raising them by selling them. Plus he just turned 5. He already wants to start 4-H.

The only reason we’re going larger is because we’re about to purchase the 2.5 acres adjacent to us. It’s a rocky hillside that has a bunch of lumber on it.

They’ll have a few natural wallows as there’s a seasonal creek that stays muddy. I like your idea about multiple pens. I’m much more of a free range type guy. Mainly because my wife is a bleeding heart animal lover. She’ll butcher with me, but she can’t see animals not enjoying themselves. She’s one of the main reasons we’re doing the livestock thing. She hates commercials animal harvesting.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve learned that going full boar into things is just how I do it. I always start thinking I’m going to be super cautious and patient and it never works out that way.

If I can’t find what I’m looking for close I’ll do the couple of feeder pigs to start. I just know with the amount of pork my kid eats, we’re gonna want to finance raising them by selling them. Plus he just turned 5. He already wants to start 4-H.

The only reason we’re going larger is because we’re about to purchase the 2.5 acres adjacent to us. It’s a rocky hillside that has a bunch of lumber on it.

They’ll have a few natural wallows as there’s a seasonal creek that stays muddy. I like your idea about multiple pens. I’m much more of a free range type guy. Mainly because my wife is a bleeding heart animal lover. She’ll butcher with me, but she can’t see animals not enjoying themselves. She’s one of the main reasons we’re doing the livestock thing. She hates commercials animal harvesting.
That makes sense. Nothing wrong with diving in and learning along the way!

Pigs are great for those less desirable/rough pasture areas. I will say though, my pigs have always been happy animals in their smaller pens! If they are well fed, given daily attention, kept clean, etc… they’re quite happy

I totally get the free ranging thing. And if you have that land perfect for it even better. But either way you will need a few smaller pens at some point. Boar separation/sick pig isolation/sow giving birth/etc

Latest posts

Top Bottom