Keeping a pig too long

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you seem to think it won't be any good. I say it will be as good as a 250 lber. It's not like she was running all over the countryside trying to find food. She has had food, shelter, water her whole life here. She was about 100lb when I got her. You keep them on the gain and they will not be tough. Once you let them lose weight then they start to get tough.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well you seem to think it won't be any good. I say it will be as good as a 250 lber. It's not like she was running all over the countryside trying to find food. She has had food, shelter, water her whole life here. She was about 100lb when I got her. You keep them on the gain and they will not be tough. Once you let them lose weight then they start to get tough.
A good diet and lack of activity makes the meat tender (assuming it's not an uncastrated male), of pretty much any species I'd assume...
:drunk2:

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a WHOLE lot of pork.. Heaviest we've ever butchered was 330 and a yummy Duroc gilt she was.. 2 days of sausage making, yummy we like our sausage.. Nice haul hope is all yummy good, hope the bacon turns out well. I made my 1st batch WAY too salty, live and learn..

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It wasn't anything to do with the injections, medications or disease.

What was her age? 600 pound (if accurate weight) isn't a younger pig. Generally the whole meat cuts are taken from younger animals for tenderness.

Carryon, don't mind me. Different strokes for different folks.
2 years old at most. Never missed a meal that whole time,fresh water every day and a mud hole to keep cool from the heat. Covered enclosure to get out of the weather. Probably had a better life than some people. Meat will be fine. If it's not as tender, I can cook it different ways to make it tender.. I'll get more back this way than losing money at a sale barn.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a WHOLE lot of pork.. Heaviest we've ever butchered was 330 and a yummy Duroc gilt she was.. 2 days of sausage making, yummy we like our sausage.. Nice haul hope is all yummy good, hope the bacon turns out well. I made my 1st batch WAY too salty, live and learn..
You can soak it in fresh water to dilute the saltiness. Lots of people did it that way when it was salt cured and hung in a smoke house all winter.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A good diet and lack of activity makes the meat tender (assuming it's not an uncastrated male), of pretty much any species I'd assume...
:drunk2:
That’s why Kobe beef is a couple hundred $$ per pound.

(copied)
  • The first is that the cows are given beer to induce appetite.
  • The second is that they are massaged daily, sometimes with sake (Japanese rice wine), as a proxy for exercise in the tight living quarters and to further accentuate the marbling that Kobe beef is so well known for.
  • And the third is that classical music is played to them as a relaxation technique and at feeding time, so they associate the music with eating and hence the music improves their appetite

• I got stuck in Tokyo once to airline issues, given a voucher for a room at an upscale hotel and a meal voucher. For dinner Kobe steak was served. It was the most flavorful steak I’ve ever had, almost fork tender.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Equipment I use to process meat. Be it wild or domestic. It isn't rocket science . Do a little homework and you can produce the same as a butcher.
IMG_20210714_170647860.jpg
IMG_20210714_170534574.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom