Calling all Knife makers in Oklahoma!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTIZZLE76

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for knowledge, experience, opinions and also, mainly would like to make some purchases. What should one look for in a edc knife? What blade material? What blade style? What length? What handle style/material? I want something that will last 30 years rather " Go buy a new one". It is a tool and WILL be used as a tool.

Fixed blade w/ leather sheath and worn on belt @ either 2 - 3 or 4 - 5 position, depending on daily firearm/carry position. I am a thick boy, keep that in mind. lol I carry OWB in the 3 - 4 position and AIWB from time to time as well.

I would like to support a local Okie, veteran or just the good ol boy/woman. I would like to purchase a few for the edc and a couple to stash back and collect/have on display. Possibly have a couple made custom.

My grandfather was a huge knife/firearm collector. When I was a kid we would watch westerns or hotrod channels for HOURS (or golf 🤮) while he inspected, cleaned and sharpened his personal knives/firearms. I reminisce (25 years ago) begging him to go outside and let me shoot the O/U .22/.410 or one of the 50+ rough riders he had or even practice with the recurve. We lost him last March 1st. It's been rough on the whole family. I was sitting here cleaning a couple firearms, on the phone with my mom talking and reminiscing and thought, " J.T. you don't have any nice knives like ol Gran pappy did..." aaand now here I am, posting...

I'm in NO rush, I would just like to invest some $ back into the local 405/580/918 area, wether it be veteran based/owned, retired ol boy/woman etc. I'm not big on supporting poor craftsmanship/high dollar items from S***** companies when there are plenty of great people to purchase from who make quality items and could possibly benefit from it.

Leave comments with knowledge, opinions, pictures, business contacts, etc. I would just like to purchase a quality tool and support good people.

Thank you, J.T. 🇺🇲

JTIZZLE76

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
You can check what I post here on the knife page. i am retired and make knives to keep me busy. I started making in 1984 living in Tonkawa at that time. Present I live outside of Davenport with a Chandler address. i would be happy to provide you with what ever you need.
Mr. Miller, thank you for the reply. Do you have a website by chance? I will definitely do a search and take a look. I have zero preference, I would just like to start collecting. Thank you again for the reply and response, sir.

Snipe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you would enjoy a high carbon steel blade. I personally use and like 52100. You have to care for it a bit more than stainless but you will be able to tell the difference. Style is more of a personal preference as well but i like a simple drop point hunter. I like shorter 4 inch or so blades as well, easier to handle. And there's just something about natural wood scales. Here's one close for reference.

Attachments

• img_1_1707443718571~2.jpg
    img_1_1707443718571~2.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 0

JTIZZLE76

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I think you would enjoy a high carbon steel blade. I personally use and like 52100. You have to care for it a bit more than stainless but you will be able to tell the difference. Style is more of a personal preference as well but i like a simple drop point hunter. I like shorter 4 inch or so blades as well, easier to handle. And there's just something about natural wood scales. Here's one close for reference.
I'm still doing some research on blade materials, styles and understanding the values of HRC levels. I like traditional styling, wood or bone handles and I recently went and handle a couple knives. I really like the 4" handle with 3" - 4" blade. I have a thicker hand with lots of meat, anything smaller than 4" I felt could be an issue with wet or bloody hands. I held a couple drop points, skinners and REALLY liked the feel and thickness of the sheep foot.

JTIZZLE76

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Check out my friend Shawn of SDS Knifeworks on FaceBook. He is a Forged in Fire champion and makes some excellent knives. Lot's of pictures of his work on his FaceBook page. He is an Okie.
I will definitely check him out. Does he produce custom order only or does he produce and post them on FB? Does he also attend local knife or gun shows? I'm about to hit the ol' google after 2nd batch of coffee brews.

Latest posts

Top Bottom