Is Another Ammo Shortage Coming?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rarely shoot anymore, its not worth it. I am not chasing ammo. I did pick up a case of 44mag for the 1894 marlin I have.
I am pretty much set on 22.

We were kinda that way -- between me spending all our spare change on co-pays and the cost of ammo -- plus I just haven't felt like dealing with the after-effects of going shooting -- but the kids LOVE it so ... We had ordered several hundred dollars 9mm and .22 from SG, I think it was, and had gotten what we thought was a decent deal on both. Believe it or not, it was delivered literally the week before all this **** popped off.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was planning on buying a fair amount last week, but I had a busy week and didn’t do it. I’m going to make an order this evening, but it will be a smaller order. The jump in prices happened fast. I think that it’ll probably stay that way at least until the election next November. A big part of me also thinks that our government is using the world conflicts to try and create an “assault rifle” ban. A rifle without ammo is just a paperweight.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This happens every election cycle, and is kicking off early due to the terrorist attacks in Israel. Add to all of that the desire by the current administration to punish and hamstring legal gun owners, and here we are.
I will continue to add to the stash a little bit at a time. I am still sitting on some .28 per round 556 and .14 per round 9mm. I need some 7.62x39 and 51.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't there pretty much always an ammo shortage on the way. Elections usually cause panic buying. Threads like this and U Tubers cause panic buying. The latest war just gave it a boost.
People panic buy because they procrastinate and don’t tend their business. As you can see from the link I posted, I encouraged people to stock up in July.
To answer your question, yes, there generally is always an ammo shortage looming, and that’s why a person should be proactive when prices are lower and ammo is in stock.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't there pretty much always an ammo shortage on the way. Elections usually cause panic buying. Threads like this and U Tubers cause panic buying. The latest war just gave it a boost.

Threads like this?? 🤔🤔 I think you are giving OSA a little too much ... Ummm ... Hmmmm ... Man, I just don't think OSA has the kinda reach you think it does ... 😉🙃

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Ammo and guns have been following the same cycles of supply and demand forever. Big panic on AR's and then $500 AR's for sale a couple of months later.
Buy cheap and keep or sell high. Some people and companies are just trying to rip people off. I'd avoid them now and in the future if possible.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ammo and guns have been following the same cycles of supply and demand forever. Big panic on AR's and then $500 AR's for sale a couple of months later.
Buy cheap and keep or sell high. Some people and companies are just trying to rip people off. I'd avoid them now and in the future if possible.

I do not think ammo companies are trying to rip people off. I do think Inflation is out there, combined with shortages due to production shifts and increased demand. Things that have effected ammo prices:

1) Shift to 6.8 SPC production,
2) Increased demand due to ukraine, now israel, \
3) No production or mining of lead since the obummer years
4) Brass and powders not only need metallic ores and other minerals, heat is needed, and you all know that NG and Oil and Electricity has gone up
5) Taxes and compliance
6) Reliance on gov't for primer production
7) Inflation on the cost of the metals themselves in raw form and final product.

The writing is on the wall, ammo is going up and will become more scarce, especially in non military calibers, 30/30, 30 0-6, 270 Win, 22. LR and 22.WM... If 6.8 SPC becomes the new military rifle caliber, eventually 5.56 will be like 30 0-6 or 30/30 (decades out?) Could happen to .308 as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom