Will 5.45 AK mags work in 5.56 AK?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently reaccquired my Arsenal SLR106FR and can't seem to locate Circle 10 5.56 mags under $35/pc and it seems few have them. Is there anyway you can use the plentiful 5.45 AK-74 mags with 5.56 ammo?

dak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can buy one and see, some 5.56 AKs will run 5.45 mags if they are downloaded a few rounds. You can also buy 5.56 followers. They would still suck though.

Your cheapest bet is Wieger mags if you can find them but you're still looking at $25-30 per mag. Might as well pony up the extra dough for the waffles.

zero-comm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i bought some ak-74 east german mags that had a 5.56 follower. i didn't swap them out to use in my 5.45 rifles. they worked just like any other mag. i don't see why you can't use 74 mags with new followers.

daddy-o

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
you can buy an adaptor that fits on your ak which will allow you to run ar mags. I think I seen them on gunco,net or saiga forum. Not sure and never seen or used them so don't know how well they work.
thanks
daddy-o

Latest posts

Top Bottom