Winchester 1300 Defender issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the last model of 1300 they produced I believe, 18" barrel and 8 rd tube with FO front sight, all black.
Now the issue is, if you release the firing pin on an empty tube you cannot load a shell without first racking the pump. If you try and insert a shell it goes about 95% in and hangs up on the shell guide (not exactly sure what it called, but it moves up to allow the shell to enter the tube). I can do one of two things either drop a shell directly into the chamber with the pump back or pump it and load through the bottom shell feed. Basically it must be cocked to load through the shell feed.
I always assumed this was how Winchesters were having never owned one. This is not the case with my Remingtons.
So is this a defect/flaw that needs fixing or normal?

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just pulled my old ranger 12 out, unloaded it, pulled the trigger(dry fired it), shell guide= shell lifter, lifted fine and out of the way to load more shells without pumping action. Using 2 3/4 inch shells. Don't know?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned a 1300 and an FN TPS (basically FN's version of the 1300 with fancy stuff on it). I can't remember having this problem with either.

What size shells are you using when doing this and has the gun been cleaned/oiled (it might just be stiff).

Is the pump all the way forward or slightly backed off (like even a half-an inch) when doing this?

I looked up the parts diagram and I can't see that FP pump release affects loading a shell at all - without forcing it, have you tried being a little more firm?

This might help:

http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/winchester-1300-diagram

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It's basically a brand new gun, I have had it for a few years and fired it about 30 times with 2 3/4 shells. It has done this since day one. The pump is locked in the forward position. The shell actually goes in almost all the way. Just a bit of the shell rim is sticking out, but it's really stuck at that point. If you rack the pump the shell goes in effortlessly. Something about that shell gate is keeping the shell from loading in the tube with it un cocked.
I'll see if I can get a few pics of what is happening.
Looks like Sportsworld is the only repair center in Tulsa, I think I would rather send it off to Winchester.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would call winchester first and see their thoughts, see if there is some user thing that can be done.

btw, how do you like that 8rd mag on your shotty? I have never owned a 1300, but sure looks like a good max capacity shotgun. I want another mossberg with longer tube, have an 870 pm, but only a 4 shot magazine (5 rounds total) would like something with a little more mag capacity.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the pump all the way forward or slightly backed off (like even a half-an inch) when doing this?

Well I have to give credit where credit is due and it looks like EZB got this one. Apparently what was happening was when the gun was uncocked, like after the last shell had been fired and you pulled the trigger on an empty chamber. I'd have the butt on my hip to reload, the pump/bolt would slide back just a bit, maybe 1/2 an inch. Enough to keep the shell gate from pushing all the way down to allow the shell to enter the tube. Once I pulled the pump forward it would load up no problem. Thanks for the tip.

I had called Winchester today and was told to send it in. However, I thought I'd go through it one more time and sure enough the bolt was slightly open.

It holds 7 in the tube and 1 in the pipe for 8, plus 6 on the side saddle makes for 14 rds of 00 buck fury. With a tac light it makes for a nice little HD gun.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I have to give credit where credit is due and it looks like EZB got this one. Apparently what was happening was when the gun was uncocked, like after the last shell had been fired and you pulled the trigger on an empty chamber. I'd have the butt on my hip to reload, the pump/bolt would slide back just a bit, maybe 1/2 an inch. Enough to keep the shell gate from pushing all the way down to allow the shell to enter the tube. Once I pulled the pump forward it would load up no problem. Thanks for the tip.

I had called Winchester today and was told to send it in. However, I thought I'd go through it one more time and sure enough the bolt was slightly open.

It holds 7 in the tube and 1 in the pipe for 8, plus 6 on the side saddle makes for 14 rds of 00 buck fury. With a tac light it makes for a nice little HD gun.

It will hold a hell of a lot more than that if you check into the Aguila mini shells in 00 buck.

The 1300 and TPS will both rapid fire like 14rds of those bad boys and only malfunction on the last round at full speed (under controlled fire, the last round doesn't malfunction - also if you use a full-size shell as the last round, you loose a few rds of cap but there's no malfunction).

They're cool shotguns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom