Winchester 1873 - needs parts & work

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently dusted off my great-great grandfather's Winchester 1873 (.22 short, 24" full octagon barrel). Serial# 560xxx; Winchester's historian told me it was built in 1902.

I would like to get it cleaned up and even repaired so I can shoot it (something it hasn't done in at least 60 years), but I need some parts (carrier block spring clip, extractor and pin, and mag tube cap).

I've been browsing through the threads here, but thought I'd solicit advice about my particular case. There is a fair amount of what I can best describe as "crud" on the metal (dirt-covered rust? It wasn't stored very well). The stock has a decently large chip missing by the hammer and upper tang. Other than that, the wood is in good shape, but a bit dark around the thinner part (between the tangs by the chip), I assume from hand oil. I couldn't even get the lever or hammer to move until a friend realized the main spring was in UPSIDE DOWN! I assume that clip on the breech block was preventing everything from moving so someone took it apart, gave up, and put it back together ... incorrectly.

I'm certainly willing to spend some money on this project, but I'm not a collector or even a shooting hobbyist. I'd just like to do something with this piece of family history, especially if that something is bringing a conversation piece to the range every now and then.

I'm right in that it's worth it to get it in shooting order instead of just getting it cleaned up, right? Also, how do I want to get it cleaned to keep as much of the original finish (or whatever is left under the grime)?

I've looked around some online for parts; I haven't been able to find everything in the same place. Also, I need someone who knows vintage lever actions to work on it and clean it.

Third model with grooved dust cover. Lyman(?) tang sight might be original.
ai1105.photobucket.com_albums_h352_fustigate314159_DSCN0961_m.jpg

Damage to stock & cover screw head isn't in good shape.
ai1105.photobucket.com_albums_h352_fustigate314159_DSCN0961_m.jpg

Missing the tube cap (which is different on the .22 than other calibers).
ai1105.photobucket.com_albums_h352_fustigate314159_DSCN0925_m.jpg

Plenty of work to be done.
ai1105.photobucket.com_albums_h352_fustigate314159_DSCN0935_m.jpg

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your tang sight is worth more than the rest of the gun.
Yes it can all be restored but most parts will have to be made by hand for it like they were back in the day.
Some parts are available but the main ones are not.

To see some of my work check out my website.
www.fransonfirearms.com

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was mine and had been passed down like yours, I would restore it. You can take your time and do a little here and there. Honeybee is right about the sight. You don't see them everyday.

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because the sight is worth that much or because the rifle isn't worth much? Is it indeed a Lyman? There's a W stamped underneath. (I assume for Winchester.)
Is the front sight a matched Lyman also, or another manufacturer? It seems a little damaged (center).
ai1105.photobucket.com_albums_h352_fustigate314159_DSCN0927.jpg

And thanks!

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it was mine and had been passed down like yours, I would restore it. You can take your time and do a little here and there. Honeybee is right about the sight. You don't see them everyday.

Restore it fully (able to shoot), or get it so I can fire it?
I'm concerned that there may not be much rifling at the muzzle. Someone suggested actually taking it to shoot and then decide if I wanted to get an extractor, etc., based on the accuracy.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a winchester sight, worth around $400
It can be fixed.
The gun is worth fixing but do it right or have it done, you only get one chance to get it right or you will hurt the value and shoot ability.
If the gun bore is wasted it can be drilled and a new riffled sleeve installed, this does not hurt the value, it makes it more valuable (but runs a little over $100 to do)

I restore guns for a living and usually get the ones that other gunsmiths don't want to work on or can't do,

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More than likely the mainspring was put in wrong to prevent firing because there is a problem you are not aware of.
have someone with '73 knowledge look it over before you shoot it.
Back in the 70's when I worked at Andy Andersons in OKC we did a lot of disabling of guns for people.
Their parent/grandparents were getting senile and wanted the gun in the home but, everybody was afraid they would get shot in the middle of the night.
So, we would try to disable the guns without destroying the parts if possible.

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than likely the mainspring was put in wrong to prevent firing because there is a problem you are not aware of.
have someone with '73 knowledge look it over before you shoot it.
Back in the 70's when I worked at Andy Andersons in OKC we did a lot of disabling of guns for people.
Their parent/grandparents were getting senile and wanted the gun in the home but, everybody was afraid they would get shot in the middle of the night.
So, we would try to disable the guns without destroying the parts if possible.

Wow. Makes sense, though. I'd hate to think that's why parts are missing/broken/installed incorrectly. I'm assuming it was just put in wrong since I originally thought I was missing a butt plate screw and had a stripped tang threading, only to realize the screw in the tang was really the other wood screw for the butt!

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That Winchester is way cool and with your family history it would be a crime not to restore it properly.Don't do it yourself,I doubt you have the skills.Don(Honeybee) is a pro and let him look at it and give you a price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom