Winchester Model 12

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my wife's uncle who was 96 passed away, he left me his Winchester Model 12 Pump. He was the Drug Commissioner for Oklahoma until his retirement. I was told this gun came from a drug raid or from a prison but I can't remember. The only thing is that it is chrome plated. I can't find where a chrome plated Model 12 was ever made. One man told me from the serial #1132499 that it was manufactured in the 40's. It says it was made in New Haven,Conn. Does anyone know anything about this gun and what it may be worth? Thanks

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try the rifle/shotgun subforum. This should really be there.

I've never heard of a nickel-plated Model 12 either. I'd like to see pictures. If it wasn't done by the factory (which it probably wasn't) then it's probably killed the collector value. However if it's still in good mechanical shape it'll be a good shooter; I'd rather have an old Model 12 riot gun as a defense piece than an 870, myself.

E: Most people who want a Tactical Manshooter Shotgun probably won't want this either, since the whole tactical aftermarket is built around newer (compared to the Model 12) Remingtons, Mossbergs, and Benellis. Damn kids these days would rather have magazine tube extensions and ghost ring sights than the greatest repeating shotgun ever made. :anyone:

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea the finish isn't factory by any means, It could be Chrome because chromium plating began to be popular after the 1900's but then it was pretty much just used on Jewelry till the 20's. This being from 1948 may have belonged to someone who did Chrome plating or knew someone who did. Still Nickle was much more popular because it did not peel off.

BluRaySS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too would like to see pics of this. Sounds very interesting. I have a couple firearms from long before serial numbers that I know have some work done. Thing is I can't tell if it was a factory/professional change or a barn fix....

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have a friend that for a shop project in jr high, he took an old .22 rifle and refinished the wood (imagine bringing a .22 rifle into school for a shop project now days). his brother who worked in a chrome bumber refinishing place, took the metal parts and chromed them. did a good job. the gun is pretty unique, never saw anything like it. it is a pretty piece.

for you guys that are younger - cars use to have a chrome bumber attached to the frame on the back and front of the car. really heavy piece. kind of shinny and pretty at the time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You have to get us some pics posted. I love my model 12. with one in the chamber, it holds 7 rounds total. No mag extension needed.:D Mine was a junker, that went through a 100% restoration.

Latest posts

Top Bottom