Winchester Shotgun guys.... Old Model 12 question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad has an old Model 12 (1927 model I think), in 20 gauge & we are trying to figure out if this is one of the more scarce ones of if it is more common. Apparently configuration makes all the difference in the world on these shotguns. Does anybody know these shotguns well enough to share some insight or know there is book we should/could do some research in?

Auctioneer Ed

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is 20 gauge, 2 3/4 Mod, 25 inch barrel, Nickel Steel. (OBTW this XD-9Guy's Pop.) We will be selling this gun at auction, sometime in the future. Have to wait on Probate court judge to give the Okay. I found it under a bed in the farm house. We are just trying to find out what we have.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks been.

Pop, you don't frequent the boards much so I'm obligated to tell you that you have to send been a picture of your feet now. Sorry.

Don't those folks charge for appraisals though? I don't know if I want to know bad enough to pay for an appraisal.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It is 20 gauge, 2 3/4 Mod, 25 inch barrel, Nickel Steel. (OBTW this XD-9Guy's Pop.) We will be selling this gun at auction, sometime in the future. Have to wait on Probate court judge to give the Okay. I found it under a bed in the farm house. We are just trying to find out what we have.
I was going to leave this alone, in hopes that some one who knew more than I do would answer. I own a win. 20 ga. I bought used, as a boy in the late 50s. ser. 243xxx, which, if I looked at my obsolete copy of blue book right, indicates it was made in late 1919. It is marked nickel steel model 1912. Full choke and has a 25 1/2" barrel. The reason I mention this, is that for years I thought that the barrel had been shortened, But I discovered later that this was the original configuration of the first 1912s. The 12,16, and 28 gages came later, along with different barrel lengths and the 19 in the mod. no. was also dropped. Could your shotgun, in fact, have a 25 1/2" barrel? Also, are you sure as to the chamber length, the early 20s, mine included, had 2 1/2" chambers and had to be opened up to SAFELY fire 2 3/4" shells. Again, my blue book, indicates that the change occured around 1927, the year in which yours was produced. If its marked 2 3/4", great. As to value, I'd look at the internet auction sites for a general idea. IMO the prices paid in OKla. are some what depressed, and the internet is nation wide. The prices on these shotguns, since they were discontinued, has over the years varied greatly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom