With the rain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Comes the power outages.

Anybody still use the hurricane lamps?

image-661460596.jpg

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still have 3 of them, but have not used them for quite a while. I have several LED lanterns that give out a lot more light and on low last quite a while. I also have the rechargeable battery packs for them that I can charge off the solar system that is on the shop building or generator. I also picked up a couple of those LED candles at Walmart that are good for night lights.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not hurricane lamps but, do have 8 Coleman lanterns. Don't use them in the house, though.

Using the LED types inside. Made some 'jumper cables' to hook the lamps to small AGC batteries, last for days.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Meh....I just use one or both of my generators. I can run lights, TV, fridge, freezer and all manner of goodies. Those little Honda inverter generators are friggin awesome! Little noise, sips the gas and can still run computers and such. Last tornado I had the Fridge, TV, cell phones, a fan and a lamp on a 1000w Honda. Damn thing will ran for about 7 hours on a tank and it holds all of .6 gallons! Those lamps are for TEOTWAWKI and the power not coming back on at all.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This made me think of when I was young, my mom always had several antique hurricane lamps around the house for decoration but whenever something happened and we lost power, which was often then, she'd go around fill them up and we'd use them until the power returned. It actually made for some nice quiet evenings that I remember fondly.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh....I just use one or both of my generators. I can run lights, TV, fridge, freezer and all manner of goodies. Those little Honda inverter generators are friggin awesome! Little noise, sips the gas and can still run computers and such. Last tornado I had the Fridge, TV, cell phones, a fan and a lamp on a 1000w Honda. Damn thing will ran for about 7 hours on a tank and it holds all of .6 gallons! Those lamps are for TEOTWAWKI and the power not coming back on at all.
I agree on the inverter generators, but I have a Yamaha 4 KW one. If it looks like it is going to be a long outage, I normally shut it down at night. If it was real bad, I would just run it a couple of hours in the morning and evening for the fridge and freezers.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 of the Aladdin mantle lamps at my place here in Anchorage. It's the most popular oil lamp up here. They put off a lot of light and heat as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom