World's Unsold Cars - Opinion's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw that earlier today. I think I made it a few sentences before I just started skimming; IMHO, it's 99 and 44/100ths percent pure BS. I particularly liked the one where the cars were lined up around the racetrack, then magically gone. ZOMG! It must be a conspiracy (and the fact that he's selling a book on conspiracy theories on Amazon has nothing to do with this)! :screwy::bolt:

FWIW, there are plenty of reasons that automakers will stack up cars like that. When Ford, f'rinstance, begins production of a new model, they hold every vehicle that rolls off the assembly line until they go five days without a problem. If/when they have a problem, even if it's with hours left to go on the fourth day, the clock gets reset, and they start over again. At the production rates of a modern plant, that can leave them with a metric boatload of cars that will be sitting in their lots until they can all be checked.

Also, if they'll be changing to a new version of a popular vehicle, they'll often ramp up the production on the outgoing model to make sure the dealers have cars on the lots while the plant(s) are closed for retooling. Ford did this with the Fusion for its recent overhaul, and they're doing it now with the F150 in anticipation of this fall's changeover.

As for production in China, yes, the automakers are producing in China--for the Chinese market. That's a flipping huge market--even if only ten percent of Chinese citizens can afford a new car, that's still roughly 150+ million people, or roughly half the population of the US. Those cars aren't getting shipped over here, they're getting sold there.

In short, if you have even a modest understanding of the automobile business, that "article" comes about as close to passing the smell test as does a skunk-sprayed day-old fish laying on a manure pile in August.

Latest posts

Top Bottom