Sheriff Whetsel tried to defeat concealed carry laws when he was IACP President

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
According to Sheriff Whetsel's campaign website, 4-term Sheriff Whetsel wants us to know that he received the Distinguished Service Award from the National Police Administration of the Republic of China, while the Gun Owners of America and OK2A have endorsed his Republican challenger Darrell Sorrels as the best candidate for Sheriff of Oklahoma County.

Would the best Sheriff for Oklahoma County be the 4-term incumbent Sheriff that as past President of the UN Agenda-21 controlled International Association of Chiefs of Police, wrote suggestions of how to defeat concealed carry laws and received honors from the Chinese Police, or the Republican challenger Darrell Sorrels who has endorsements from the Gun Owners of America and OK2A?

BULLSEYE63

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I,m definitly not votin for WEASEL, I remember in the '90 when he was sheriff in Choctaw he said if they pass concealed carry , there would be shootings in the streets in news interviews. He was totally against concealed carry, but all of a sudden when he ran for Oklahoma County sheriff he was at all the gun shows shaking hands trying to put on a different face with his pro-gun con job. Don't be fooled, in my opinion this weasel is a elitist who thinks only people of his stature should have guns. When he was running for Oklahoma County sheriff all i heard was how his wife and child were killed in a police pursuit, like that has anything to do with his qualifactions. He's done a rotten job as sheriff and if it hadn't been for the sympathy vote from his wife and childs tragedy he wouldn,t have gotten half as far in his career. All enemys of gun rights are my enemys, especially the deceiving kind.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I've talked to him, he's been very pro LAC carry. He had no real issues with open carry, and signs the form for class 3 purchases all the time. I have no dog in this fight, but I think the OP is so much fear mongering. or maybe I'm just naive...

Well, the OP did provide documentation in his two links.

Smokin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted for Sorrels before seeing all this mainly because I like the guy. I have been around him several times and he is always polite, courteous, and seems intelligent. The few times I was around Weasel that was some type of campaigning he was short, and not very pleasant.

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Democrat Sheriff Whetsel was the President of the International Association of Chiefs of Police in 1995 and worked hard to defeat and/or weaken CCW laws across the country. November 6th, Sheriff Whetsel seeks another term as Oklahoma County Sheriff and likely still believes that ordinary citizens should not have the right to carry firearms. The link below shows an NRA document that demonstrates Sheriff Whetsel's disdain for lawful citizens to carry their firearms and provides numerous suggestions how law-enforcement can erode our 2A.

The Republican candidate for Oklahoma County Darrell Sorrels believes that lawful Oklahoma County residents have not only the right, but the duty as an American citizen to keep and bear firearms. I ask everyone to consider your rights as lawful citizens which sheriff candidate will best defend the Constitution and protect your rights.

No Guns For Anyone - Sheriff Whetsel and Gun Control:
http://www.examiner.com/article/no-guns-for-anyone-sheriff-whetsel-and-gun-control

Document of memorandum from Sheriff Whetsel, from NRA archives:
http://www.textfiles.com/politics/GUNS/iacplet.dos

Whetsel is a I supported P.D. Taylor for Sheriff back in 1996. It's a that the voters of Oklahoma County gave this another term. This is running the jail into the ground because he wants to turn Oklahoma County into a larger version of the City of Choctaw. Every time I return to OKC from Kansas City I see at least two Oklahoma County deputies running radar on the interstate where OHP would normally be. Oklahoma County is nearly all incorporated. The only places that are not patrolled by municipal police are the far northeastern parts of the county. But the littlestill run radar in OKC.

The only legitimate functions for the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Department are the few square miles in the northeastern part of the county, courthouse security, and the jail which Whetsel has mismanaged for 16 years. The jail is by far the most important part of the sheriff's department in Oklahoma County. It's by far the most neglected and mismanaged pat of the whole operation. needs to go back to Choctaw and be a small town Chief of Police and leave Oklahoma County to those who understand the issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the county boys on I35 are actually doing drug interdiction,they get to seize vehicles and money for whetsels coffers. lot more money in that than writing tickets

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every time I return to OKC from Kansas City I see at least two Oklahoma County deputies running radar on the interstate where OHP would normally be.

the county boys on I35 are actually doing drug interdiction,they get to seize vehicles and money for whetsels coffers. lot more money in that than writing tickets

Then - shouldn't they be running radar on the southside of OK County and not the north side? Wouldn't drug mules be running from south to north in most if not all cases on I-35?

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then - shouldn't they be running radar on the southside of OK County and not the north side? Wouldn't drug mules be running from south to north in most if not all cases on I-35?
Folks that live in Edmond and commute to the city daily are more likely to just plead no contest, pay the fine and go on about their lives. Less affluent parts of the metro have people who either fight the ticket or don't show up at all which means bench warrant, which means the county has to SPEND money, not make it. Before he died, Mark Shannon had several shows about not only the sheriff but other elected county positions like county clerk and county commissioner(?) that he thought were fleecing the public.

Edit: I'm not saying it's true, I'm not saying it ain't, but Shannon had some good points.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can take this for what its worth but back in I beleive 1990 or 91 when he was still Choctaw chief he was the keynote speaker at a friends CLEET graduation. In his speech he said that citizens shouldnt have access to all the high powered "assault weapon" and high capacity magazines that are available. He said that every office should call their congressman and push for an assault weapons ban. He recived a very cool reception. This coming from the man that armed his guys with Ruger AC556s and short barrelled 870s. Great guy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom