XD-9 Barrel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I just buy a different length barrel and drop it in my XD-9?

When I got mine, I got the 3.5inch barrel sub compact model so that it would have the shorter grip and be easier to conceal. However, I'd like the longer barrel for improved accuracy. Is it okay to just buy a 4" or 5" barrel and drop it in? I know it will stick out of the end of the frame, but that's inside by pants anyway (insert joke here). I know the site radius will still be short since the slide will still be short.

Just seems like this might give me a little bit of the best of both worlds with the longer barrel but shorter and easier to conceal grip.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can I just buy a different length barrel and drop it in my XD-9?

When I got mine, I got the 3.5inch barrel sub compact model so that it would have the shorter grip and be easier to conceal. However, I'd like the longer barrel for improved accuracy. Is it okay to just buy a 4" or 5" barrel and drop it in? I know it will stick out of the end of the frame, but that's inside by pants anyway (insert joke here). I know the site radius will still be short since the slide will still be short.

Just seems like this might give me a little bit of the best of both worlds with the longer barrel but shorter and easier to conceal grip.

I've actually played around with this some. No. You can do that with the 4" and the tactical 5", but not with the compacts. The way it fits in the compact slide is different. However, now that I think about it, the compact slide was a 40 and the 4" and 5" were both 9 mm. Don't know if that would make a difference or not. I never shot it with longer barrel though, and don't think I'd recommend it.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm. I was under the impression that a longer barrel did help in accuracy. So, what is the down side of a short barrel? If the accuracy would be the same and it's smaller to deal with, is it just whatever look one prefers?

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Longer barrels will help with accuracy if you are talking rifles or revolvers because it increases the sight radius.
On semi-autos the sight radius will be the same so accuracy would be the same but velocity would increase.
ie a Glock 20 with 6" barrel they use the extended barrel for velocity not accuracy.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm. I was under the impression that a longer barrel did help in accuracy. So, what is the down side of a short barrel? If the accuracy would be the same and it's smaller to deal with, is it just whatever look one prefers?

Longer barrels increase velocity which at greater distances aids in accuracy. One is sort of a byproduct of the other. The sight radius as already stated is what is directly accuracy related at any distance. You can put a longer barrel in a shorter slide (possibly) but you couldn't get away with a shorter barrel in a longer slide, where the slide length exceeds the muzzle location. So the downside of a short barrel in a semiauto hand gun is that it also means shorter slide which then means shorter sight radius. If you could have a platform that allowed a shorter barrel in a longer slide I would guess the only downside of the shorter barrel would be velocity?

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all this info guys. I had heard of the barrel length effecting accuracy but clearly did not understand why it did. Sounds like in my XD, I have the sub compact so I may be able to put a 4" or 5" barrel in but since the sight radius of my slide would still be short, I wouldn't really gain any accuracy. It would just look weird for no reason. Maybe some more velocity but that shouldn't really be an issue for a cc gun at the distances it's intended for should it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom