Xd / Xdm Grip Saftey

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99TROUBLE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing an xd but was wondering at what point the grip saftey has to be depressed before it can fire.I am awear of how it fits my hand and know that it is fully depresed easily when fully gripped but I have heard the storys about accidental discharges from glocks and others w/ out thumb safteys while entering there holsters. My thought is that you are going to have a firm grip on the pistol while holstering it,could it be possible to have the same type of accidental discharge if there were something to snag your trigger? thanx

OKDiesel

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a XD .40 subcompact back in November and had similiar concerns. I have shot a HK USP for a number of years and it has the std safety. I was always weary of not having a true safety. I have gotten used to it now and it does not bother me. The important thing to remember is to not have your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. :nono1:

I have found the grip safety is depressed most of the time it is in my hand, including coming in and going out of the holster.

I shot the HK the other day and kept forgetting to kick the safety off to fire :doh:. Need to make sure I do put the safety on when I carry it, which is rare as it is quite large and does not concel easy...thus the XD subcompact.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the XD 45 and the thought of not having a regular safty never crosses my mind any more.

Train yourself to have the proper gun handling habits and you will be ok, not saying that you don't already but when you have that mind set it just becomes second nature to keep your booger hook away from the trigger.

zzz333

Marksman
Reaction score
I wound up trading my xd45 4" and 5" for the same sizes with the 1911 side safety. If you look through the gap between the frame and slide. Then pull the trigger without pressing the grip safety, you can see the sear move significantly. I've seen several range mishaps when people were holstering their glocks, the same could apply to springfields "your hand is gripping the frame when you holster." Usually the thumb break would snag the trigger and the guy would be jumping around trying to figure out who's shooting. The side safety to me feels safer. Yes the shooter is ultimately responsible for safe handling, but **it happens.

99TROUBLE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I allways stay away from the trigger no matter if its loaded or unloaded , I assume most of these incodents happend with something like the holster or ? snaging the trigger .I am very cautious when handling my weapons but have never been one to carry,but have decided to get my ccl & am I not wanting any potential problems w/ the lack of thumb safteys on all of the pistols I am interested in.

aodh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got both a XD SubCompact and a Glock 19. I carry the XD appendix carry, the Glock about 4:00, both IWB. The XD is easier to reholster since I can keep pressure off of the grip safety by gripping the pistol with my fingers under the trigger guard and thumb on the back of the slide.

Reholstering the Glock is a very slow process for me since I'm paranoid about shooting myself in the stern. I have to verify the location of everything (fingers, shirt, holster parts, etc) before pushing down on the gun.

Love shooting both, but I'm much more conscious of the possibility of accident with the Glock. Both pistols are less comfortable for me than my "safety lever" pistols. I can never envision using either as a "pillow gun", something I've done with various other safety equipped autos for many years.

zzz333

Marksman
Reaction score
I went through the academy in ,97. We shot rain or not and a leather holster would tend to get saggy after a couple of hours. With the ok of the range masters I was allowed to place my trigger finger behind the trigger between it and the frame. It was the only way I felt safe enough to do a fast re holster. They even recommended it to a couple of other shooters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom