Yet Another Reason To Hate Ethanol

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had no reason to hate Ethanol until yesterday when I rolled off the Harley lot with a new ride. Guys told me to run Prem with no Ethanol. I didn't even they think they sold prem with no Ethanol. I know of regular but what stations sell prem with no Ethanol?
http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

I know some of the newer 7-elevens around here do. They have low octane with 10% ethanol and all three with no ethanol.
Yes they do. Some of them also have CNG islands as well.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had no reason to hate Ethanol until yesterday when I rolled off the Harley lot with a new ride. Guys told me to run Prem with no Ethanol. I didn't even they think they sold prem with no Ethanol. I know of regular but what stations sell prem with no Ethanol?

You buy from Myers Duren? They gave me the same advice Wednesday when we bought our new Harley , as if I had to get it from them I refused to run ethanol in the sport bikes when we had them. But I'm confused just a little on the octane requirement. Our sport bikes were 10.5:1 and 11:1 respectively and ran fabulously on 87 octane no pre detonation issues and spun up to 11K redlines. New Harley twin cam 96 requires 91 octane with a 9.2:1 compression ratio... are the engine management and sensors that far behind on the HD? I don't mind buying the premium but I am just curious.

Now to stations, there is a Phillips 66 on 31st street almost to 129th E ave. Paradise Bay Car wash at 71st and Mingo. QT at peoria and I-44, Shell at
I-244 and Utica, Reeders phillips 66 on 21st just east of St. Johns all have 91 octane ethanol free fuel.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth, compression ratio is not all that affects the octane requirements of the engine. You also have the issue of how well the fuel and air mix throughout each cylinder, mean piston speed, cylinder heat control, overall efficiency between sucking and blowing, emissions targets, etc.

That said, I just always run what the manual says, even if I don't hear or detect any problems with lower octane fuel. The difference between 87 and 91 is typically $0.30/gal. If you put 40K/yr on a car that gets 30 mpg, you have a difference of $400/yr in fuel costs. Assuming an average price of 87 is $3.50/gal for the year, you were already paying $4,665.50 in fuel costs to drive your car on 87 rather than the manufacturer-recommended 91.

Remember, too, the pump could be off by 0.02 gallons either way and still pass Oklahoma Corporation Commission requirements. It doesn't sound like a lot, but at the theoretical 1,333 gallons above, that's 26.66 gallons that the pump could read either way over the course of your year, or $93.31 - $101.31 that you could be paying more (or less) at the pump.

XPerties

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You buy from Myers Duren? They gave me the same advice Wednesday when we bought our new Harley , as if I had to get it from them I refused to run ethanol in the sport bikes when we had them. But I'm confused just a little on the octane requirement. Our sport bikes were 10.5:1 and 11:1 respectively and ran fabulously on 87 octane no pre detonation issues and spun up to 11K redlines. New Harley twin cam 96 requires 91 octane with a 9.2:1 compression ratio... are the engine management and sensors that far behind on the HD? I don't mind buying the premium but I am just curious.

Now to stations, there is a Phillips 66 on 31st street almost to 129th E ave. Paradise Bay Car wash at 71st and Mingo. QT at peoria and I-44, Shell at
I-244 and Utica, Reeders phillips 66 on 21st just east of St. Johns all have 91 octane ethanol free fuel.

Yep, bought mine at Myers. Excellent customer service and my first Harley so the way they treated you was first class in my book.

As you did, I ran 87 w/oct in all my sport bikes but yeah they said to run prem with NO oct. I know QT's offer 87 without octane since I deliver the fuel to majority of the stations but I didn't think they offer premium. I asked if reg with no octane was ok but Bobby (sales guy at Myers) and he said it would cause pinging. Im no mechanic and far from a Harley expert but that new 20k bike will see prem with no eth until I do a ton more research. :thumb:

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The use of the left over mash that is fed to cows promotes the growth of a particularly dangerous strain of E-coli that can be deadly.

why-ethanol-boom-means-more-e-coli-burgers

There is fairly good evidence that this is the main cause of the spike in E-coli contaminated meat over the last decade or so.

Well on earth day in the 1970s some top loud scientists made predictions in the newspaper that we would be out of food. This means any research on food today is bullsheet.

This is just more hippie science designed to make us feel bad for being rich and awesome.

greyBeered

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

The Log Cabin gas station convenience store on Hwy 82 north of Tahlequah has all three grades in no Ethanol, plus separate dispensers for the E10, so you don't get left rot from the last customer.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, bought mine at Myers. Excellent customer service and my first Harley so the way they treated you was first class in my book.

As you did, I ran 87 w/oct in all my sport bikes but yeah they said to run prem with NO oct. I know QT's offer 87 without octane since I deliver the fuel to majority of the stations but I didn't think they offer premium. I asked if reg with no octane was ok but Bobby (sales guy at Myers) and he said it would cause pinging. Im no mechanic and far from a Harley expert but that new 20k bike will see prem with no eth until I do a ton more research. :thumb:

I could not say enough good about how the whole sales cycle went with Myers Duren... You did't buy yours around 4:30 to 5:15 did you? We were there picking up a backrest kit for the super glide when someone rang the bell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom