Youth Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter has always hunted and shot with me since she was old enough to handle a weapon. My son (he's 13), however, has shown no interest in either shooting or hunting. Last year, he asked if he could go sit in the stand with me for a day while I was hunting, but told me that he really hoped that I didn't get a shot. I took him and we had some good father-son time.

My daughter is now too old for the youth hunt, but my son surprised me the other day when he told me he wanted to go to the hunter education class so that he could hunt during the youth hunt this year. I am stoked. My daughter and I have a lot of memories of our times together in the woods and I am excited that now my son wants to share in some of those experiences as well.

He made me laugh at the hunter ed course when the instructor said that they would start the test at 3:30 and would have until 5:00 to finish. He whispered to me, "If it takes me that long to finish the test, I don't have any business around guns."

Anybody else taking a kid on the youth hunt?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grandson wants to hunt this year.
He's been shooting for about 5 years now.

My hopes are that somewhere down the road he'll be cleaning my game for me. :hot:

Copper01

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back around the end of July my daughter asked when we could have some venison for dinner. We had lost the last of ours during a power outage. I just looked at her and said 'When you going to shoot one?' She responded 'When are you going to take me?' It's the first time she had shown any interest in going hunting with me. Needless to say I've been on fire every since trying to get everything set up for her.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter drew at Washita NWR. This will be her first hunt, I am thinking that I am more excited than her. She is a damn good shot and we have had lots of discussions about being able to pull the trigger on a live animal if she get the chance. I think she will be ready.

She has already decided she wants her deer made into jerky (back straps excluded of course)

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hope your hunts go well. My first time out with my daughter, we had been on stand less than 20 min when she harvested a nice doe. I had to explain to her that it wasn't always like that. Lots of funny and fond memories made on those hunts.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son & I are going to head out for the youth weekend, he has been fortunate enough to take a deer every year on public land, all does but 1 young buck, This will be his 5th year at 13, he sure wants some antlers this year hope it happens for him, even thought it will make hime hard to live with. I haven't had to put one in the freezer for a few years now. We have had a couple of hunts in a row that we never saw a deer at all. He knows how it works when you do not have a prime spot which I think is a good thing. The wildlife department does great things with the youth hunts, he has drawn into a couple & had a great time, but his 1st ever was at James colins & it was 90+ degrees never saw a deer except dark 30 when it cooled off

Good luck to all

Devilsbcoach

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are fortunate to have private land to hunt on. The landowner (who is a friend) has been seeing a couple of really nice bucks in the area that we hunt. I hope my son gets a buck........just not one of those! lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom