OBD2 reader transmission temp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On Honda CRV. The reason is it is supposed to be at a certain range of temperature to change the fluid, which technically is an easy procedure. But as there is no dipstick, only an overflow port to drain off excess, that is where the temperature you drain it at comes in. Any experience with this? Thank you,

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On Honda CRV. The reason is it is supposed to be at a certain range of temperature to change the fluid, which technically is an easy procedure. But as there is no dipstick, only an overflow port to drain off excess, that is where the temperature you drain it at comes in. Any experience with this? Thank you,
My Toyota is similar. Levels are checked at a certain temperature. I have a scangauge on mine, but I think most readers show Trans temp.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You did not mention year or if it had a dipstick. 2014s and below I know has a dipstick. 2015s and up I am unsure as never owned a 2015 and up. You are eluding to the level plug, so assuming 15s and up has no dipstick.

I change and check by the Honda Manual. Says to get hot, check dipstick for Hot Level.

Drain and refill to capacity. Run till hot at 3000 rpm and cooling fan comes on, then within 90 seconds check Hot Level. I found that you’re good to go well over 90 seconds, but that is what is stated. Make sure your AC and or Defrost is off as it will cycle your fan making you think it prematurely is hot.

Never an issue doing it this way on the last 3 CR-Vs wife has owned. This 2012 has 179k miles on it, we usually give them away to a family member in need at around 250k miles and replace with a new one.

Two of the first three we know went up into the 400k mile plus range and were still going. One got wrecked at a little over 300k miles.

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Mr.Glock It is a newer one, 2024, no dipstick, I’m just trying to be prepared……

@trekrok what scan gauge do you use? I know very little about this.

Well then you can just drain and measure. Refill quantity and run it in park till cooling fan cycles and that is the needed temperature to shut off and in 90 seconds see if it overflows the level port.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Mr.Glock It is a newer one, 2024, no dipstick, I’m just trying to be prepared……

@trekrok what scan gauge do you use? I know very little about this.
That's the brand, scangauge. It's one that mounts permanently in vehicle. I'd think any cheap reader would probably work.

If it's new it shouldn't need anything for years, should it? Usually on Toyota if they don't have a dipstick they consider the fluid permanent.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the brand, scangauge. It's one that mounts permanently in vehicle. I'd think any cheap reader would probably work.

If it's new it shouldn't need anything for years, should it? Usually on Toyota if they don't have a dipstick they consider the fluid permanent.
shouldn’t need anything for a while. But there is a recommendation to change it at 30K.

Latest posts

Top Bottom