What affects a barrel/action's accuracy more than anything else?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scope and or scope mounting. All the above too. I have 2 adl model rifles. The barrel contacts the stock at the end of the stock, on mine, older models, so I sanded those contact points off. I have the black sythetic stock. It's possible if the gun was seperated from the stock that in remounting, the screw was overtightened putting more pressure on the barrel at those contact points on the end of the stock. Shooting the gun, heating the barrel with pressure on it would affect it. Just a guess without seeing your gun.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't buy into the harmonics hype. I'd say it's a combo of a really crappy chamber and the factory rifling and crown. That our your bottom metal wasn't torqued evenly.

This is what scares me. I equate the rifling as an issue that is probably common on all of Remington's barrels, but to what degree?

If I'm to have Steve fix my SPS Varmint barrel, he can take care of the crown when he chops it and he can re-cut the chamber, but the rifling is what it is (there's no way that I know of to fix that).

If Remington's QC is that bad on the rifling, then it could be that this skinny barrel is suffering from the same issue that my SPS barrel could be suffering from.

Can Steve check the rifling? I'd love to know before I spend money on having him machine up the old SPS barrel. If its enough to give me sub-moa, I'm probably going to keep it, but I'd love to know something about it before I pay to do the work on it.

I guess if the rifling is screwed on both barrels, then I'm stuck with a Shilen or Broughton and some saving before i can have Steve install anything.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Is the barrel floated?
Skinny barrels and uneven stock pressure make for some poor accuracy and wide flyers.
I've found that even some floated barrels may make contact with the stock as they heat up causing groups to get wide.

Pat

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the barrel floated?
Skinny barrels and uneven stock pressure make for some poor accuracy and wide flyers.
I've found that even some floated barrels may make contact with the stock as they heat up causing groups to get wide.

Pat

Yeah- B&C Medalist Tactical stock - see the first post. Stock is channeled for a #7 contour (I think) barrel and this skinny has about a half an inch all around it to the receiver.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what scares me. I equate the rifling as an issue that is probably common on all of Remington's barrels, but to what degree?

If I'm to have Steve fix my SPS Varmint barrel, he can take care of the crown when he chops it and he can re-cut the chamber, but the rifling is what it is (there's no way that I know of to fix that).

If Remington's QC is that bad on the rifling, then it could be that this skinny barrel is suffering from the same issue that my SPS barrel could be suffering from.

Can Steve check the rifling? I'd love to know before I spend money on having him machine up the old SPS barrel. If its enough to give me sub-moa, I'm probably going to keep it, but I'd love to know something about it before I pay to do the work on it.

I guess if the rifling is screwed on both barrels, then I'm stuck with a Shilen or Broughton and some saving before i can have Steve install anything.

I would say sub-moa groups can still be obtained with a factory tube but it's not as common. I'm not sure if Steve has a bore scope or not. Do you know Chris (QTRMOA)? He's up your way and has one.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im really sure Steve has a barrel scope, and can check your rifling.

First check the scope. and bases ect.
I've had more than one scope go down on me and that's one reason I quit using Swaroski scopes.

IF a new or other proven scope will not fix it then go to Steve and see what he say's, Could be the crown ect.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Scope screws or the scope itself (regardless of price)
2. Action screws
3. Crown
4. Ammo - maybe that barrel just HATEs that ammo.

P.S. I have 11deg target crown cutter you can borrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom