03a3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i know that a m1 is not to be fed modern sprting ammo but m1 ball ammo that is less owerful should an 03a3 be fe the modern stuff or stick to the lower power stuff?

thanks in advance''carter

cz_partizan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In general, its best for any milsurps to be kept to rounds that are around original spec or lower. 1903A3's are 70+ years old now and you don't necessarilly need to keep pushing the envelope.
With that said the 1903's are based on the Mauser 98 action (though not quite as strong), meaning it is one very tough cookie. I do know several people that shoot high powered rounds and have no problems, I just choose to proceed with caution. Just my two cents

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ammo chosen to be fired in a M-1 Garand has to take into account its gas action characteristics. The operating rod WILL be bent with powders too slow for its action. The gun WILL blow sky high if a too sensitive primer is chosen for its ammo, due to premature detonation of said primer. Uncle Sam knew of these two problems and designed his G.I. Ball ammo to allow his Garand to shoot well, often and with safety.

I still feed my M-1 Garand carefully crafted handloads that produce accuracy as well as avoiding the above two issues.

I am not particularly concerned with running modern U.S. SAAMI-spec in an .03-A3 that's in excellent condition.

Latest posts

Top Bottom