04 f150 200k service

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had this f150 for a few months, appears to have been well maintained by the previous owner. Runs like a new car. Would have passed on it due to mileage, but the condition/price was great.
Fixing to roll over on 200k soon and ive got a 3000 mile trip planned next month. Taking my daughter out to Bryce canyon, zion ect for a few days of hiking.
Any suggestions on service besides the obvious plugs, filter, fluid? Only trouble was bad coil today, quick fix. I've heard the plugs are bear, so I borrowed a tool for that....

Thanks--

Fog

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think in 04 only the new body style 5.4 had the 3v, The 3v plugs are known to break, there are tips/tricks to remove them without breaking but sometimes it still happens. I've had some where none of them broke and some where all 8 did. There are several different methods of how they break, or how much of the plug stays in the head and several different tools to use for removal. They also require a special spark plug socket, or different one than most other normal spark plugs.

If you don't know the history you should check and/or replace all fluids and filters, spark plugs. No other service items for 200k but I would look at everything that should normally have been replaced by now. Belts, hoses, wheel bearings/grease, brakes, u-joints.

Foghorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks. Not sure if it's the new/old body style. Never kept up much with that kinda stuff. I'll Google and see which it is.
Been slowly going through things and so far everything's been fine.
Trip is kinda spur of the moment so I got worried that there was more I should get done before we leave after the coil died yesterday. Probably just being paranoid, but it's kinda remote out there..

Nothing screams poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont forget to change the break fluid. People generally dont and it causes issue with the caliper later. This fluid is hydrscopic meaning it attracts and absorbs water. Water in a hydraulic system is bad. If it's dark colored, it old. Also when you get to doing the breaks, be sure you grease the slide pins. I use dialectic grease. A stuck slide pin is a common issue that will cause break issues.
Also if the trans fluid isnt a nice clean pink/red color, it needs flushed. If its at all brown tinted, its burned and leaving it in there will lead to a new transmission sooner than later. Youtube for the proper way to flush it yourself. Its really easy but not as simple as draining the pan and refilling.

ssx2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Zion and Bryce done together is a pretty full outing. We hiked the Narrows and trekked up Angels landing, we did not get to spend much time at Bryce we needed more time a week wasn't enough. Zion is awesome, if you have never been there, go in from the east side and you will be in for a treat. As far as your truck I'd do all fluids and filters for sure. Have your battery tested, flush your cooling system, make sure your vicious coupler is working and check your belt. If you are running a 5.4 spark plugs can be an issue. I've changed them a few ways: motor warm, motor cold but both ways I've turned them out about a 1/4 turn and soaked them with PB blaster and let them sit for about 10 min then use a 3/8" air ratchet and don't stop until the plug is free and clear. I've had a few break as well but they snapped before I could turn them and on cold motors if that tells ya anything. What I would definitely do is inspect your steering gear and ball joints. If your upper control arms are original they are way over do for replacement. Last thing you want is a tie rod sending you over a cliff, cause where you are headed the roads are like curly fries. Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom