Car Dealer/Service Warning: Don Carlton Hyundai

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Earlier I was asking about a hyundai maintenance center and got few responses, did some research and didn't find much so I took a leap of faith and was stomped on. Just wanted to give fair warning to anyone else out there.

Took my wife's 05 Hyundai Santa Fe in to Don Carlton to get:
Transmission fluid flush/change
Differential fluid flush/change
Engine oil change
Have power steering inspected due to slow loss of fluid [1/2 cup per month]

They did what I asked but also took time to inform me timing belt needed to be done along with the tensioner (true) for $650 parts + labor. [I called regional hyundai in BA and was quoted $450 installed].

Brakes were below 5% front and rear and rotors were warped, brake fluid was bad. (BS, see below) @ cost of $250 an axle.

Power Steering needed a vacuum hose replaced (no such thing??!?) and would cost $210 for the hose + labor (supposedly responsible for fluid loss).

Now I do my own brakes, typically do oil changes (but live in an apt and got in trouble last time for doing in the parking lot), and other basic maintenance. I call up my father in law to see if I can borrow his garage and tools to look at the rotors and brakes and ask his advice on the power steering.

Brakes turned out to be 30% in the front, 50% in the rear, and rotors didn't even need to be turned let alone replaced. Brake fluid tested good and just needed to be topped off.

Father in law checked the power steering, he has had much more experience in this area than me, and says its actually that the Hi and Low pressure lines are good, but a seal on the pump itself is leaking. He said is a common tactic of mechanics to replace a hose and when problem doesn't fix to move to the pump in order to get return service.

Needless to say I called the service adviser and had a chat and was basically treated like a liar but he said if I can prove the brake scenario that he'd look into it further. What that means, I don't know. Taking the car to Regional next week for timing belt and see what they have to say.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously I know some people are truly outstanding people. However in general I stay clear from dealerships. I have had nothing but problems with the dealers in Oklahoma. These guys are crooks. I would never ever go back to David Stanley Dodge in MWC, Chrysler in Norman. One exception was the Mark Heitz Chevy when I took my Saturn in for recall they did an inspection and said my car was in really good shape and didnt need anything.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$450 is about right for the timing chain setup up. Just had mine replaced june of last year on my '04 Sonata which has the same 2.7L V6 as your Santa Fe. My stealership charged me $400 which at the time was the Hyundai standard charge. If you have everything on paper that they told you, then I'd call up Hyundai USA and complain about the dealership. You'd be surprised what effect that can have on a dealership.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have everything on paper that they told you, then I'd call up Hyundai USA and complain about the dealership. You'd be surprised what effect that can have on a dealership.

This. Every dealership has a regional service manager, that is not paid by the dealers but is paid by the factory, that they have to answer to. It's his job to maintain the manufacturer's reputation while keeping frivolous warranty claims in check.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do have everything on paper and documented. I will call up Hyundai USA and let them know whats up.

And as far as trusting dealerships, I dont. Thats why I checked everything before they did it. I keep track of what needs to be done and do what I can. It needed a flush not a fluid change and I'd prefer the dealer do it to keep the 10 yr/100k warranty intact. Same with the Diff.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$450 is about right for the timing chain setup up. Just had mine replaced june of last year on my '04 Sonata which has the same 2.7L V6 as your Santa Fe. My stealership charged me $400 which at the time was the Hyundai standard charge. If you have everything on paper that they told you, then I'd call up Hyundai USA and complain about the dealership. You'd be surprised what effect that can have on a dealership.

The santa fe actually has the 3.5 v6. Its the LX AWD which is probably the difference. Her old Santa Fe (an 01) had the 2.7 v6.

Latest posts

Top Bottom