1-4 vs 3-9 scope for 5.56 AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmecamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've decided to get a Trijicon Accupower scope for my AR. I'm just not sure about what power range to go with. I'm wanting to have the capability of making fairly precise 500 yd shots if need be but also be able to work fairly close. My eyes are good at the moment so I can see 500 yd easily. Having hunted with a 3-9 on every deer rifle that I've ever owned, I know the advantages and limitations of the range. I have zero experience with a 1-4x scope and how precise you can be at longer distances. Can anyone help me out here with your experiences?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No difference in precision... that is all in how steady you can hold the rifle and how accurate the rifle/ammo is. The magnification just helps you see the target better, and on a small target, to get a more precise sight picture with the crosshairs right in the middle of the target. 4x is plenty of magnification for identifying and accurately putting rounds on man sized targets at 500 yards. If your intended target size is smaller, i.e. shooting head-sized targets at 500 yards, 10 inch plates, or trying to put everything in a 6 inch bullseye, you will probably want more magnification. Like you said, you are familiar with what a 3-9x will do. A 1-4x will be a lot faster at CQB distances... basically like an unmagnified red dot sight. It comes down to where you want to place the emphasis... on the fast and close shooting, or the longer range/more precision end of the spectrum. Or you could have it all, and put a 3-9x scope and and an offset red dot on it, like I did on my 6.8 AR! Either way, Trijicon makes some real nice glass. You won't be disappointed there.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe the accupoint 1-6? The extra magnification makes a big difference IMO but my eyes aren't too good anymore.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

callmecamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No difference in precision... that is all in how steady you can hold the rifle and how accurate the rifle/ammo is. The magnification just helps you see the target better, and on a small target, to get a more precise sight picture with the crosshairs right in the middle of the target. 4x is plenty of magnification for identifying and accurately putting rounds on man sized targets at 500 yards. If your intended target size is smaller, i.e. shooting head-sized targets at 500 yards, 10 inch plates, or trying to put everything in a 6 inch bullseye, you will probably want more magnification. Like you said, you are familiar with what a 3-9x will do. A 1-4x will be a lot faster at CQB distances... basically like an unmagnified red dot sight. It comes down to where you want to place the emphasis... on the fast and close shooting, or the longer range/more precision end of the spectrum. Or you could have it all, and put a 3-9x scope and and an offset red dot on it, like I did on my 6.8 AR! Either way, Trijicon makes some real nice glass. You won't be disappointed there.

Thanks for the reply, henchsman. I would like to able to hit a head or coyote sized target at range. I'm probably going to go with the 3-9x and mount my irons at a 45 degree. I think that will cover the super short range stuff just fine. Don't know why I didn't think of that before now...

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1-6x or 1-8x would serve you far better than a 1-4x.

The 3-9x Accu is nice, as I had the Triangle Post,........but not overly functional for all around use.

Folks have been happy with the 2.5x10-32 Vortex PST as well, but it's still not ideal closer in or inside.....

Its your 'fairly close' comment that is your crutch...........Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x is a possible...............at least to consider. I like the Bushy Elite Tacts.... but thats much more $$$$

Henchy above said it best and get the offset mount with red dot and a 3-9 or 2.5-10x scope. Its just money, and they'll print more.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably wal-mart eggs,, might have given him diarrhea.
That egg made him shoot the crap out of himself.. pay back time.

Almost No joking here ..This is why I got my own chickens. Could not take much more of those wal-mart eggs.

Keep us posted on how well the 3-9x Trijicon Accupower works out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom