1 in 6 Kids in the U.S. are Hungry?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Poor/Rich thread got me thinking of the recent headlines of 1 in 6 kids going hungry in the U.S. That's really hard for me to believe. I just gotta believe this is some B.S. thing invented somewhere to grab headlines or promote some bored rich person's "cause". I mean, who here would turn a kid away that said he was hungry? What statistics are they using? I'm sure it must happen but to believe it's 1 in 6 is just unthinkable. If this is happening this day in age, in the U.S., it has to be the fault of the care-giver (drugs, pride, etc). Many programs exist already to ensure this doesn't happen, especially to kids. What say you?

I really can't tell if you're being serious or you're this far-removed from how some people live.

Yeah, crappy caregivers don't mean the kids ain't hungry. "Ma, dontchu know that this is America and I'm not supposed to be hungry right now?"

Appalachia, Ozarks, Rural South, Inner Cities. Lotta kids in Tulsa are latchkey and go hungry, even in the 'burbs. It happens everywhere. Every volunteer at a pantry or summer lunch program?

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't believe it's true get off your butt and go take a tour of rural America, and by rural I don't mean Paula Valley. Hunger, real hunger does exist in America even if some don't want to admit it. The conservative crowds loves to believe that everyone has the basics in America because it fits their "if you want to succeed you will" mantra but it's just not true and the most ignorant thing ever uttered is stuff like "if they're hungry it's because they want to be or are too lazy to get a job...blah blah blah. Go spend a month touring Appalachia and then come back and try to repeat the same tired crap with a smug smile on your face. Americans shouldn't be starving or dieing due to a lack of healthcare but they do. It's gonna be hard to convince the family of a loved one who died because of a lack of healyhcare that it didn't really happen. Throughout the worlds history there have been groups of people who turned a blind eye to the truth because it doesn't feel good to acknowledge the truth.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I spend a lot of time in very, very rural Missouri and Arkansas hunting and fishing. People live miles and miles from actual towns on dirt mountain roads and often don't have a working car. Kids meet the bus and go to school. Parents grab a ride into town when they can and buy what they can. They eat a lot of stuff they kill or catch or store. I stopped to take pictures of his abandoned house, and one of the same era/construction across the road was occupied and had toys in the yard and smoke coming from the stovepipe. Not occupied in a "cute, restored" way...I mean it had a door and windows with newspaper on them. Otherwise it looked the same as this. I didn't feel right taking pictures of it. People were living in an old barn up the road. Slat siding and newspaper was the only wall insulation. This was 5 miles from pavement and many miles from a store. Think kids over there have ever seen mom walk in with an armful of real groceries?

399.JPG

I help unload/stock food at a food center in the Tulsa are sometimes, and it's a mix. Half lazy slobs, half people that are actually hungry. Kids come to the summer lunch program, and whether mom and dad are jerks or they're just poor...they still ain't havin' food in the pantry. Regardless 1 in 6 kids being hungry might be a conservative number. People have a weird way of ignoring how a lot of the country lives. Before Picher and Treece got razed, this is how a lot of them lived. Short ride up the pike from Tulsa.

109.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom