10 year old ready to go!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,

I've got a 10 year old who is knocking out his hunters education right now. He's wanting his own shotgun. I started with a single shot 20g, and an old 22. Any others start off with something different? or suggestions? Money is a bit tight right now. But, I can't say no to a kiddo who is ready to get in the woods!

As always thanks in advance!

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the 20 and .22 is a good combo as feeding .410 these days may pose a problem. At least in my area it seems, as I don't have a reloader. Otherwise, I'd say .410, with a 20 soon to follow.
If the boy's responsibility and size are up to it, I'd likely stay with a 20, only in a pump.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my son turned 8, he wanted a shotgun to go duck hunting.

I found a lightly used 870 20ga at gunshow.
My buddy happened to have a very used 870 buttstock. I put the nice buttock in closet. Cut the other buttock down to fit him with an extra thick recoil pad. Kept the cut off section for later. Gunsmith cut chamber to 3" and shortened barrel to 23", add screw-in chokes.
He still has that 870. His 4 boys and daughter used it.

IMO, The gun doesn't matter, having A gun, opportunity to shoot, learn safety, have success and FUN, is critical.

.410 is an expert gun, not a kid gun.
Being a reloader, I found a 28 ga skeet load equivalent for 20 ga hulls. Patterns great and just slightly heavier than .410. (3/4 oz vs 11/16 oz)
Took him to skeet range and shot nothing but high house, station 7. Didn't take long and he was hitting consistently. Come duck season and heavy clothes, 3" mag loads weren't noticed.

Last edited:

Cadet919

Marksman
Banned
Reaction score
Evening all,

I've got a 10 year old who is knocking out his hunters education right now. He's wanting his own shotgun. I started with a single shot 20g, and an old 22. Any others start off with something different? or suggestions? Money is a bit tight right now. But, I can't say no to a kiddo who is ready to get in the woods!

As always thanks in advance!
so much zeal at 10
you should do all you can to get the kid on the field ASAP
he's got potential yeah 😬

Latest posts

Top Bottom