Why "Entry Level",,, Why not just "Go for It"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JokerofDeath

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the “buy what you want the 1st time” camp, Just rip off the bandaid and go full send. Now as far as shooting goes, the quality of the rifle doesn’t mean a thing if the quality of shooter isn’t at the same level. Could you learn? sure, but those weapons are often designed for experienced shooters who can tell the difference. Thus, the high price. Besides hardly no one who shoots competitively leaves their weapons bone stock. There’s always a better trigger, optic, grip, etc..anything can be a “competition” weapon with the right parts and practice.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While not an apples to apples comparison, starting off with top shelf rigs can actually lengthen the learning curve in some cases. That’s because great equipment can often mask minor flaws in your skills and abilities.

Say you want to go road racing. You don’t jump straight into a 911GT3 as a trainer. You start with a spec Miata or something similar and learn the basics. In one of those you’re not going to get away with sloppy form and technique.

Wanna learn basic rifle marksmanship? Get a solid, serviceable .22 trainer and ground yourself in the basics. Likewise shooting long range. Get a solid, serviceable rifle in a cartridge like .308 and learn to read the wind and how to dial in dope. Wanna learn dynamic handgun skills? Get a reasonably accurate service grade pistol with good sights and a decent trigger, then get to work.

Don’t start with junk because that’s just frustrating. Pretty much every hobby turned competitive has cheap stuff available that is actually a “hobby killer”. So something that’s known to be a good baseline in the upper end of low budget to mid-tier that has good reviews from many users is a great way to jump into something.

JMO, YMMV

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
While not an apples to apples comparison, starting off with top shelf rigs can actually lengthen the learning curve in some cases. That’s because great equipment can often mask minor flaws in your skills and abilities.

Say you want to go road racing. You don’t jump straight into a 911GT3 as a trainer. You start with a spec Miata or something similar and learn the basics. In one of those you’re not going to get away with sloppy form and technique.

Wanna learn basic rifle marksmanship? Get a solid, serviceable .22 trainer and ground yourself in the basics. Likewise shooting long range. Get a solid, serviceable rifle in a cartridge like .308 and learn to read the wind and how to dial in dope. Wanna learn dynamic handgun skills? Get a reasonably accurate service grade pistol with good sights and a decent trigger, then get to work.

Don’t start with junk because that’s just frustrating. Pretty much every hobby turned competitive has cheap stuff available that is actually a “hobby killer”. So something that’s known to be a good baseline in the upper end of low budget to mid-tier that has good reviews from many users is a great way to jump into something.

JMO, YMMV
I was watching a drag racing show and the winner said do not buy your way into the sport with the absolute best and fastest car. You will crash it. You have to have the seat time to become the driver of your cars, then you can move up.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been thinking for a while on how to answer this and here’s what I’ve got. If your gun is hampering your success then you either have purchased too low or in some cases too high quality a gun. If a beginner, I think @Glocktogo explained it well. For someone that’s just curious I’d try and find someone with the equipment to take me out a time or two to see if it’s something I think I’d really be interested in and after that was satisfied I’d buy a good solid mid-grade gun to develop my skills.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Way back in time when I was an aspiring competition archer,,,
A coach once told me, "don't practice doing it poorly."

What he meant by that was,,,
If you are practicing shooting with cheap arrows,,,
You are practicing poorly because there's no chance of a tight cluster.

No matter how good your technique is,,,
You will never perfect your aim if your arrows aren't true.

Same with a rifle that isn't capable of shooting 1 MOA,,,
If you are shooting 2 MOA groups how do you know if it's you or the rifle.

Many many years ago I was shooting a Henry Acu-Bolt as my main trainer,,,
When I first started I was shooting clusters instead of groups,,,
A lot of practice later I finally got it down to 1.5" groups.

Then I got to shoot a CZ-452 American with a nice Athlon scope,,,
And a trigger job that got it down to just under 2 lbs.

After just a few mags to get the feel of that nice trigger,,,
I was punching 3/4" groups with an occasional flyer.

I had no concept that I had actually maxed out the Henry,,,
I thought that I had maxed out on my capability,,,
When it was really the Henry that was maxed.

In a manner of speaking,,,
The poor trigger of the Henry was an "alibi".

I decided that I wanted a rifle that was a "No Alibi Rifle",,,
Meaning, if I missed, it's all my fault,,,
Not the fault of the rifle.

To that end I purchased a CZ-457 Pro Varmint At-One,,,
Mounted a Vortex Diamondback atop of it,,,
And have never regretted the expense.

I'm old enough that I'll probably never improve my shooting,,,
The eyes are going and I'm just a bit shaky,,,
But I still try for those little .5" groups.

I have an eagle eyed friend who tried out my CZ-457,,,
She was able to shoot dime size groups with it.

So I know the rifle has more innate precision,,,
Than I am able to utilize at this late stage of my life.

Now I know for certain that when I shoot a bad group,,,
It is definitely my fault.

I had no doubts about my wanting to be a regular shooter,,,
So I didn't need to buy an entry level rifle,,,
Just in case I didn't like shooting.

I wonder what difference it would have made in my learning to shoot,,,
If I would have bought a CZ those many years ago,,,
Instead of the Henry Acu-Bolt.

Again,,,
Just musing on a warm Oklahoma night.

Aarond

Last edited:

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have stuff of all levels from "entry" to "fully custom built and machined to perfection" rigs, and truth be told, I don't shoot better than any of them. I've got the change to get the nice stuff when I agree on a price, but at the end of the day, I get what I get as it suits my fancy --- not because it makes me a better shooter. @Glocktogo nails the rest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom