Off-hand, golf ball, iron sights at 25 yards - Can you hit it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was always taught as a kid a head shot or nothing but back then all i hunted squirrel with was a 22 cal pellet rifle and kept plenty of squirrel in the freezer. Didnt take long shots most was under 50 ft but every so often there was one alittle farther but not much.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a kid, my older brother worked at a golf course and would stay after dark to wade the water hazards for golf balls. He had a large duffle bag full of them. When he would go out the front door to drive balls into the cow pasture, I’d go out the back door with my grandpa’s Sear Roebuck single shot 22 and pick them off when they hit the ground, often times at 100 yds or greater. I’m not saying I hit them first shot every time, but I did more times than not. When I graduated to a Winchester 94, I did the same thing. Both rifles had open sights but as someone mentioned previously, my young eyes were much sharper then.

Fast forward almost 20 years when I trained with a military sniper on the National Guard international shooting team, and we shot golf balls often. We would start at 300 yds, sprinting with our 308’s to the 200 yd line, drop to prone and shoot the golf ball off the tee within a few seconds. We would then sprint to the 100yd line, drop and shoot the golf tee. Over time, I became so skilled that I never missed. I was feeling cocky one day and challenged him to shoot the tee from under the golf ball from the 200 yd line. We both made the shot though mine was clean with the golf ball falling where it sat, whereas he caught a piece of the golf ball and ricocheted it to the side. That was the one and only time I ever won one of our challenges.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm so good with a .22 and irons, they had me on Garand Thumb to shoot a soda can at 710 yards!!!

1000008600.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom