12 year old girl + 6.8 SPC +120gr SST = 2 dead deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My daughter killed these 2 deer this morning. The buck was about a 120 yard shot and the doe was about 40 yards. She shot the buck and the does didn't know what was going on and hung around a little too long.

My daughter has made several trips to the range with me this summer and practiced on targets past 200 yards. These are her 4th and 5th deer that she has killed.

The AR is my second AR and my first build. Bison 16" barrel, Vtac 11" forearm, Spikes upper receiver, Spikes Bolt carrier, Stag bolt, Spikes lower, spikes enhanced lpk, magpul ctr, pri waffle mag, BCM gunfighter CH, Vortex scope. Handloaded 120 Gr sst.

I was pleased with the bullet performance. The doe was a complete pass through. The buck: We found the bullet just under the skin on the opposite shoulder (the shoulder was badly broken). The bullet jacket and core did separate, but still.. very dead deer.

i1137.photobucket.com_albums_n511_48down_IMG_5004sm.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The smile says it all!
Congrats on getting your daughter into hunting. She has already taken more deer at her age than some adults I know that go every year. :D

bernardderek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome! My daughter is only 4yrs old, but she already wants to hunt with dad. Just a few more years and hopefully she will be able to harvest her first deer.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To your daughter: Nicely done. As for the AR, I've been looking into the idea of a 6.8 SPC build, but the cost of ammo is the main reason I haven't taken the plunge. It'd be used mainly for plinking; what components do you use to load your own rounds, and have you figured out the cost per round for you to do so?

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To your daughter: Nicely done. As for the AR, I've been looking into the idea of a 6.8 SPC build, but the cost of ammo is the main reason I haven't taken the plunge. It'd be used mainly for plinking; what components do you use to load your own rounds, and have you figured out the cost per round for you to do so?

Thanks for all the kind words guys.
The 6.8 is a little expensive compared to a 556 for just plinking, but thats also for some pretty good bullets. I figure if I get 5 rounds out of my brass (hopefully get more) then my cost is $0.54 per round. I use SSA brass, rl10x powder, Wolf primers, Hornady 120 gr SST bullets. For plinking you could knock the cost per round down some more with a different bullet.

The load used for these deer is 27.5 grains of RL10x OAL 2.297

Latest posts

Top Bottom