12g Home Defense shells

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the testing at the Box O Truth

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

It's not the most scientific method, but it does a pretty good job of showing you the penetrating power of different loads.

Birdshot just isn't going to stop anyone. If it won't go through 2 pieces of sheetrock, it's simply not going to go far enough into a bad guy to make them stop.

I don't agree with this. At the close quarters you'll be shooting inside your home birdshot can be extremely effective. I saw the test you linked showing birdshot against sheetrock at 12 feet, yada, yada, yada, but have you ever shot a living creature with birdshot at 12 feet or less?? It is devastating.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't agree with this. At the close quarters you'll be shooting inside your home birdshot can be extremely effective. I saw the test you linked showing birdshot against sheetrock at 12 feet, yada, yada, yada, but have you ever shot a living creature with birdshot at 12 feet or less?? It is devastating.

Not this again.

Having personally seen the effects, Birdshot is not a reliably effective load for defense. Period. It has a tendency to make a very nasty, very superficial wound.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I have. A handful of pellets hit the bird and killed it. Either that or the shot cup snapped its neck.

#8 heavy dove
[Broken External Image]

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=109958

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about rubber buyckshot. I know they used to make, but do they still? I am worried about overpenetration. Six year old boy at the house.

A good home defense plan is more then just the right ammo, it's also having a good game plan for how you would engage an intruder in your home.

Some things to factor in...

a. Figure out where your points of entry are in the home, and which ones you think are the most likely forced entry points from a bad guy.

b. Now that you know where they might be coming from, think about likely places that you would meet a bad guy. The hallway outside your bedroom door, the staircase downstairs, etc.

c. Figure out if you have any no fire zones. Knowing that any lethal round can clear at the very least two interior wall, are there any places where you wouldn't shoot. Draw a map of your house if you have to, and draw some lines to see where your shots would go if you miss.

I live alone, so for me, my plan is simple. I lock my bedroom door at night, and I know any shot from my room towards the door and depending on the angle has at least 4 - 6 interior walls to go through before getting to the other side of the house.

I plan on just calling 911, and protecting myself from anyone entering my room. I've got insurance to cover anything in the house, so I'd rather pay my a deductible payment then risk my life.

But I know staying put is a luxury because I don't have kids to look out for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom