.14 ackley hornet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok everybody get your pointy hats out. What would be an ideal barrel length for this little guy? Based on a 22 hornet cas but its goin on a contender. Im thinking a 10-11 inch barrel so whats your thoughts. Lookin at about 4-8 grain of 2400 or equivalent magnum powder.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You know more about the round than probably 99.99999999999999999% here.........I'm waiting on YOU to educate me:) Who is building your barrel, what does he recommend?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen the caliber in gun rags, never with my own eyes. Didn't they load it up to something like 4450fps?

Edit: quick google search shows this velocity.
The .14 Ackley Hornet seems to be popular on predator masters forum.
They are also talking about the .14 Flea and the .14 squirrel.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes its a wayyyyy fast little booger. 10, 12.5, 13, 15 and 17 gr bullets are the norm. The barrel blank is from reeds a 21" 1/7 twist probably going to cut it in half and make a 10-11 inch bbl for contender I want a nice small quiet squirrel popper. (Plus get tacticool here) going to thread for my 22 suppresor

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the thought of one, but erosion is going to be a major factor. What is the round count average for the life of one? When the throat is gone, what can you rechamber to in that caliber?

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure the round count. Im not sure youd shoot it out its fast but still based on a hornet case. I could probably take it out to a 14-221walker

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I like the thought of one, but erosion is going to be a major factor. What is the round count average for the life of one? When the throat is gone, what can you rechamber to in that caliber?

How could 4-8gr of powder cause major throat erosion?

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah that's what I'm saying it really shouldn't be that bad on the barrel. I dont forsee shooting out the barrel either but that just depends on how much i shoot it. Its taking a bit to put this gun together due to the piecemeal work I gotta do for the barrel assembly. But right now im waiting on parts to come In.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah that's what I'm saying it really shouldn't be that bad on the barrel. I dont forsee shooting out the barrel either but that just depends on how much i shoot it. Its taking a bit to put this gun together due to the piecemeal work I gotta do for the barrel assembly. But right now im waiting on parts to come In.

What action are you building it on?

Latest posts

Top Bottom