16" 223 twist rate ????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
For that range, 1x9 is fine. Usually cheaper and more available. 1x8 would let you go a little heavier if you wanted, but 1x9 will usually shoot the 69gr hollow point / match type rounds, so you're not sacrificing much unless you want to shoot the heavies.

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All good advice so far, if you plan on sticking to 55-62 grain round then 1:9 will be perfect. If moving up to the heavier rounds especially any longer barnes rounds then 1:7 might be the better choice.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything 62gr and under will stabilize just fine with a 1:9 twist rate.

The higher twist rate just gives you options to go with longer heavier bullets.

If you are considering using it as a go to gun with something like the 75gr Hornady TAP rounds then get the 1:8 or 1:7 twist rate.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy whatever is a good value and don't worry too much about twist. I was very picky when I built mine and refused to buy a 1:9 because I bought into the hype. I'm not willing to pay for ammo what the heavies cost so I could have saved money and gotten a 1:9 twist. In most of the weights available 1:9 is fine. You have to go looking pretty hard and be willing to spend more money than you need to to find ammo too heavy for the 1:9.

Latest posts

Top Bottom