16 gauge shells - Where to buy? And a Mossberg 935 cycling question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatcephus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My cousin and I have started shooting skeet together using our pump guns and have been looking around for cheap auto deals. He just picked up a used 935 at auction, and I have a hand-me-down Sweet 16, so we are in good shape except:

I love the Browning, but does anyone know where I can find affordable 2 3/4" target load shells to feed it? By affordable I mean near the same price as comparable 12ga? Academy's the only place I found them and they are ridiculously overpriced vs 12ga.

Also, he noticed the 935 doesn't cycle 2 3/4 shells, but does 3" fine. Is there an adjustment for it? Or does he just need to use high brass 2 3/4" shells to overcome the problem (seems to be the internet suggestion)?

Thanks, fellow scattergunmen!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walmart carries 16 ga. Unfortunately its the premium hunting loads. Check with Gene Sears online. He was a big trap shooter in his day and their might be some cheaper options. The 16 ga is having a slight rise in popularity
Gene Sears gets them sometimes, http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/browse.cfm/2,6695.html

SGAmmo in Stillwater gets some in on occasion.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I wore out an Italian O/U 16g that was my primary skeet, 5 stand and sporting clays gun a couple of years ago. I retired it instead of repairing it due to shell costs.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love the Browning, but does anyone know where I can find affordable 2 3/4" target load shells to feed it? By affordable I mean near the same price as comparable 12ga? Academy's the only place I found them and they are ridiculously overpriced vs 12ga.

I feed 2 sweet 16s for older shooters that love them, so I feel your pain. The Academy field loads in Rem and Federal are about as good as it gets for factory (Fiocchi too), and they are most available later in the year. 12s and 20s are available in the one piece skeet hulls that reload so well , but 16s are not. I reload the straight (Reifenhauser type) hulls with Gualandi Italian wads to make a good 1oz skeet load. The old Remington 1 oz wads are no more.
If you shoot skeet a lot, it is cheaper to buy a 20ga gun and avoid the 16ga hassle and expense. I shoot Rem STS and WIN AA 20ga skeet, and reload 7/8 oz with claybuster wads many times.

The ideal solution would be for Remington to make an STS 16ga 1oz load in 9s and 8s, and sell a Remington 1oz wad again for reloading. Just don't see it happening.

walker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 935 once. Only the high brass loads would make it cycle correctly. I mainly used it for duck hunting, shooting 3" mags until it broke in the field. The cheapo molded plastic parts couldn't handle the recoil. Just sayin you should expect problems.
Good luck with the 16. don't know why that load fell out of favor.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Walmart used to sell Remington game/field loads in 16ga. Haven't seen them for a good while now though. I bought a couple of boxes and then they quit getting them. I can tell you that the Walmart in Liberal, KS will have tons of them before bird season if you are up to a road trip. They have pallets and pallets of every 12, 16 and 20 gauge shell you can imagine, or it least they did when I was working up there. It was really a sight to see.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly correct, but when that sweet 16 is in my hands, I could care less what it costs. Death behind a good Brittany is what I'm talking about! :D

Yep, but OP asked where to find 16 gauge shells the same price as 12 gauge, he mentioned he and his buddy were looking for cheap auto deals. He already had the 16 gauge but couldn't find affordable ammo. I was replying to his post.
Several here seemed to support the 16 for nostalgia not affordability.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those Remingtons I was talking about at WM were $6.99 per box and they was the cheap stuff. If you could find STS I'd bet they'd be $13 a box if not more. I've considered saving the hulls to reload, if I did I might get to shoot my grandpa's Sweet 16 more.