$18@hr vs. $28@hr Welders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the refinery and power plants pay more I was talking about shops

Some of the shops pay pretty poorly.
At least one of the big fab shops in Ponca does. They will take anyone with no experience and teach them on the job.
They either don’t last long or get the training and move on to higher paying shops.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the shops pay pretty poorly.
At least one of the big fab shops in Ponca does. They will take anyone with no experience and teach them on the job.
They either don’t last long or get the training and move on to higher paying shops.
We get guys straight out of welding school and put them with a fitter tacking until they get good enough to weld on pipe some never get good enough. In our line of business where the pipe we weld is all xray welds that go in refineries or power plants with bad stuff running through them a bad weld can lead to serious injury or death to one or a bunch of people

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son is in welding school right now. Hopefully this will be a good career for him. He went to Francis Tuttle and graduated as a Machinist and decided he didn't want to be in that field.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son is in welding school right now. Hopefully this will be a good career for him. He went to Francis Tuttle and graduated as a Machinist and decided he didn't want to be in that field.
If he can get in a shop and get good at welding pipe (most field services won’t put someone to welding pipe righ out of school unless it’s their own product running through it) he can see a lot of new places and make a lot of money but most shops in the Tulsa area that don’t do field service top out around $28

Latest posts

Top Bottom