1911 GI rear sight height?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zane

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the height of the typical stock rear sight on a GI version 1911? Is there someone that could put a set of calipers on the top strap to top of the sight and give me the measurement. Even a link to web site with this info would help, I cant find it on the web.
Thank for anyone who responds.
John

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
John, you need to go to 10-8 Performance and look at the replacement rear sight they offer.
Their Nat. match fixed rear is the height you need.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
GI is tiny tiny tiny.

If its a Springfield GI, then you are stuck with swapping out the front little nub they call a sight. No aftermarket sights I know of will work with that teeny bump.
If its a mil-spec SA, then TP is right; the 10-8 is the best option out there w/o recutting the slide.

Height of the GI sight itself is 0.240" tall. Thats bottom of the dovetail to the top of the slide. Dont have any GIs to measure the dovetail, but again, that10-8 sight is .075" too tall than a true GI rear.
To get a bigger front, you might want to get Kevin to cut you a dovetail for the front, instead of staking on a bigger one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom