1911 grip checkering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am either going to take it Accurate Iron or do it myself ... I'll order the file and fixture, practice on some junk and see if I have the balls to file on the Colt. I'll keep yall updated.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I am either going to take it Accurate Iron or do it myself ... I'll order the file and fixture, practice on some junk and see if I have the balls to file on the Colt. I'll keep yall updated.

Its not as easy to do as you might think. The frame first has to be sufficiently thick and symmetrical for it to work; not all frames are thick enough or symmetrical. You are dealing with an odd arc, which makes filing evenly tough.

The factories do the work on CNC equipment. Even these have to be centered and set precisely. Hand checking with a file is rough on your elbows.

Really nice checkering is a work of art. 30 LPI is my preferred. That said, there is nothing functionally wrong with some good old skateboard or stair tread tape.

Latest posts

Top Bottom