Our Power Pole at the Hwy - Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a question for yall that I'm sure some of you have the answer to.

Power lines run down our side of Hwy 16 within the easement area (between the road and our fenceline). At our property a separate pole is placed on our property set back about 20' inside our southern East/West property line. A power line comes off one of the poles on the easement/right of way to our pole that then runs about 400' to another pole closer to the house then goes underground to the house panel. The pole inside my property is about 100' from my front entrance gate.

What I want to do/have done is to pull power from the pole thats on my property side and run a line to the front gate area so I have access to 110V power at the gate. My gates are all solar so not worried about them. But would like to put some lights on several columns as well as be able to put an outdoor receptical in the area of my gate opener. Would rather not rely on solar lights for the columns. In the end I want 110v power to my front gate.

Who would do this type of work? Would it have to be someone from the power company or since the pole is on our property would I just need to call an electrican of my choice to do this work. They have to tie in to the pole at the top where the big line attaches to run to the house and run conduit down the pole with a breaker box and maybe a meter? Then a smaller conduit out of the bottom of the box to the base of the pole and underground to the front gate. I could do the trenching but personally don't want to/can't mess with the wiring, etc. Please advise. Much appreciated.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The power company would have to do the work from the pole to the meter and a electrican from the panel under the meter to where you want the power. But saying that if their isnt a transformer on or before that pole they would have to set another transformer to match the size of service you are wanting. The pole may be on your property but it is still the power companies pole and line.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can do (pretty much) anything after the meter. Before the meter, it belongs to the electric company/coop. If your meter is on your house, you'll have to pull the power from your house. Alternatively, you could have them add a second meter on the pole closer to the gate, but that's going to entail a second bill with their minimum charges, etc.

My folks had two meters, and two bills, from the coop; one went to the house, and the other fed the barn and shop. The barn/shop bill was usually right around the minimum charge, on the order of $35/month.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From your description if i understand? You want to pull power from the first pole just inside your fence? If this is the case you would have the power company set another pole by your gate with a transformer and then a meter loop on that same pole. The company would then charge you for two meter access.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is similar, but the transformer is on the pole with the meter below, then underground to the house. I added a breaker box under the meter to feed swimming pool pump and feeder to shop building. Like posted earlier, power company's stuff to the meter, bottom side of meter is between you and your electrician.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, whichever way you do it, dig the trench, run the conduit, and pull the wire yourself, then have the electrician do the final connections. You don't want to pay electrician wages for manual labor (at least that's what my dad's friend the electrician told him). I betcha you can get a much better deal on a trencher...

It was around $420 a year just for the meter?
It might've been around $25-ish minimum and the bill usually ran about $35. Since we sold the house I can no longer see the history in the OEC app, and I don't feel like digging out the paper bills, so I'm going from memory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom