1911 Rock Island or Taurus 9MM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theishkid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad is looking at his first 1911. He really wants it in 9MM and we have basically come across two models.

The Rock Island Tactical for just under $500 found here... http://rockislandarmory.com/tactical_pistol.html

Or the new Taurus Stainless 9MM for around $650 found here... http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=677&category=Pistol&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=19

He really likes the Taurus, and visually I agree... but when search around for reviews on the Taurus people kept mentioning the Rock Island. So what's so special about the Rock Island? And which is the better bet/buy? Any downsides to one over the other?

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have several high end 1911's, and I can tell you this. You will not be sorry with the Rock Island Tactical. It is an outstanding weapon.

a 5" 45, sure; but in a 9mm? eh, I dont know about that. They can be pretty tricky in non 45 calibers.

Id feel better if you looked around for a sti spartan in 9mm.
The bones of which are basically the Rock island, but you have the benefit of some better internals and a more reputable name. -not to say RIA is necessarily that bad.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a 5" 45, sure; but in a 9mm? eh, I dont know about that. They can be pretty tricky in non 45 calibers.

Id feel better if you looked around for a sti spartan in 9mm.
The bones of which are basically the Rock island, but you have the benefit of some better internals and a more reputable name. -not to say RIA is necessarily that bad.

speaking of 9mm STI Trojan's, theres one for rent at H&H if you'd care to let your dad shoot it before making the decision.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a RIA 9mm tactical and it's one of my favorite shooters; haven't had a problem yet after hundreds of rounds; beats a Taurus anyday

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They both are good shooters. The Taurus stainless steel 1911s are actually pretty good. For some reason the stainless steel 1911s run much smoother than their blues carbon counterparts. I suggest he try to test fire both pistols if possible and pick the one that he enjoys better. Honestly you probably won't be disappointed with either pistol for their price.

theishkid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I'm trying to push the Rock Island based on all the good comments I've heard from here and several other places on the web.

I guess he saw a Rock Island yesterday and just visually doesn't care for the looks of their guns which is why he is leaning towards the Taurus. I personally couldn't care less about the looks of the thing (since it's not for me). I just want him to get the highest quality product for the price. Especially since if he likes this first 1911 he'll be getting a much higher quality one down the road.