1917 Enfield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to the show on sat here in OKC and only decent deal I found was a 1917 enfield. It was "sportsterized" but had factory stock. Still 30-06. Didnt know much about them but came home and looked on here but not much on them. Looked on rest of net and only found good stuff. Went back on sunday and he had sold it. Now Im on fence wondering if I messed up not getting it or should I be looking for another. His had a great Factory stock cheesey scope. $200 for gun, scope and about 20 rounds. Did I mess up or are these around for that? Anyone have one?

Thanks
Kris

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the show on sat here in OKC and only decent deal I found was a 1917 enfield. It was "sportsterized" but had factory stock. Still 30-06. Didnt know much about them but came home and looked on here but not much on them. Looked on rest of net and only found good stuff. Went back on sunday and he had sold it. Now Im on fence wondering if I messed up not getting it or should I be looking for another. His had a great Factory stock cheesey scope. $200 for gun, scope and about 20 rounds. Did I mess up or are these around for that? Anyone have one?

Thanks
Kris

For $200 you should have picked it up. Rounds will run from $20-40.
The enfields have a good reputation.

acpjosh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

T.R.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It really all depends on what was done to "customize" it, and whether or not the guy who did the work knew what the heck he was doing. Customized 1917s turn up on Gunbroker and Auction Arms with some degree of regularity, so check those two sources for approximate value. Be warned though; a great many of these fine old rifles were absolutely mangled by inept attempts at customizing. Also, those 1917s manufactured at the Eddystone plant have a bit of a reputation for cracked receiver rings....possibly caused when trying to remove the extremely tight barrels for customizing.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful what you buy. My dad bought one just like that, nicely sporterized, also for $200. However, it wasn't until I put a round in it later did I realize the headspace is dangerously close to being out on it. In fact, it may be too far out, I'd probably have to use a field gauge to know for sure.

If it's been re-barreled, it's probably just fine. If it's the factory barrel, you may want to look at it closer. This issue concerns me enough that I almost want to carry around headspace gauges at a gunshow if I'm looking at old military stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom