1937 Izhevsk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilboots

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Broke down and bought a Mosin from Bud's Gun Shop. Don't know much about these things yet, but the wood is in really good condition, with just a few bumps or scratches. Still have to clean it up before i check the bore, but really happy with the condition so far.

No idea if this is a rare one or not, but hoping to learn about them now that i have one.

And thanks to Reddog1 for the quick and easy transfer, not to mention cheap!

The date and proof came off the barrel, so not sure if that is the original date, or some kind a refurbish.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
they are great guns for the money and ammo is cheap but drying up. score a can at the big show if you can. round or hex receiver?
typically,i like the pre war guns. the metal is usually machined better because they weren't cranking them as fast as they could.
the lowest sight setting is something like 500 meters or so. take a small diameter heat shrink tubing and make the front sight post taller and use scissors to trim to 100 yards or whatever distance you want to shoot at. that is the fastest way to get the gun on target.

lilboots

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice to know about the sights, i'll have to do that when i get to take it to the range. Round receiver, does it matter as far as performance? From what I can tell, Izhevsk only produced round receivers. After cleaning this one up, barrel looks almost new, and old a few scratches and dents in the wood, nothing major, just enough to give it character. Bluing is in 85% condition or better. Really pleased with it so far. Especially for the price.

And as far as ammo, lookin like I will have to buy a case at the gun show. Sportsman's guide seems to be about the only place i can find with the surplus stuff in stock. Might order it from there, or take a chance there is some for a decent price at the Wannemacher.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are hex receivers from the izhevsk factory. I have a 1934 one. Mosins are a blast to shoot and are addictive to collect I am down to my hex and a 91/59, I'm thinking about getting a t53 and a Tula to round out the collection.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's gonna take a whole lot more than that to "round out" the collection; 91's from 3 different arsenals, 91/30's from different arsenals, different countries, hex and round receivers, etc., 91/59's, M38's, M44's, 91/38's, M1907"s, and an unbelievable set of variables in each of the previous. The Finn's are a whole different set of options. Good luck.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
37 hexes are quite uncommon but Izhvesk started making round reciever rifles in 1935 and Tula in 1936. As far as performance it doesnt matter if its a hex or round reciever rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom