1st hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright guys, I have decided that this week while I am on vacation I am going to do something that I have always wanted to do. I am going hog hunting. I was hoping some of yall could give me a few tips or advice. I have to tell you that the only hunt I have ever been on was shooting dove so I am a complete novice when It comes to all this. My plan was just to get to canton lake about 5:30 thursday morning and try to find a place to start walking. Will Jeans and a camo shirt suffice? or do I need to get all gussied up and look the part. Also, I was just gonna bring the AR and a 357....will that be okay too? I keep hounding my brother in laws to go but they are more than wishy washy on all this. I keep reading that I need to walk the river but to be honest it has been 10 years since I have even fished canton much less walked the hunting grounds.

Oh yeah and if any one wants to join me to show me a few things you are more than welcome to join

Thanks,

Terrell

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't been up there lately. But if you don't find water/mud with these temps, you won't find hogs in daylight. Are you camping or just driving out for the day?

I will try and find my map and road numbers and scouting information with possible water sources and PM you information later this weekend. Its not information to share with others. Honestly if you are coming out for just the day, I wouldn't. If you are going to camp, at least you will get to camp. Finding hogs ostough this time of year. They move the last 30 minutes of daylight all night and first light of the day.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The greatest thing about pig hunting is that they can hardly see anything. I bow hunt them very often in a pair of jeans or cargo pants and a dark T-shirt.

OkBass - I agree for the most part except that I have found them pretty regularly an hour or even 90 minutes before dark when hunting them this time of year. I have never hunted pigs that were coming to bait though. That could make a difference. All of my hog hunting is spot and stalk and done on Public ground as well. I have never hog hunted on Canton though so I have no idea how they tend to act there.

I don't hunt hardly at all in the mornings though just because it isn't as convenient so I have no clue on morning movements. I completely agree about the water/mud holes though. This time of year, they suck in pretty close to water.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I will just be going out for the day. I'm actually in okarch now so canton really isn't to bad of a drive for me and if I do come up empty handed I can always stow the guns and get fishy smelling in the lake.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .357 needs to be loaded with solids (just lead will do--no need for bronze) because hollowpoints tend to annoy hogs. You need penetration. The AR is not enough gun for me, but if you can do head shots, it's plenty. I normally use something north of 30-06 in power in a rifle, and .44 mag with 300 grain solids as a backup. Been charged once. Scared the crap out of me, but I won. CB

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How'd it go?
I went out there last summer. I saw many tracks and wallows, but they were somewhat old. Even saw a huge track of boar that made me nervous as I was alone.

If you want to go out again, I have a map with some notes, too. I live in Stillwater, so Canton isn't too bad for me either. Just shoot me a PM.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hunt wasnt a complete sucess but not a complete loss eighter. It actually ended up being 2 hunts. Th first one sucked but we found out where we should have been. the second one we saw probably 8 pigs within 10 min of being there. Shot at and hit at least 2 but didn't find them. I only brought 1 mag for the AR and I didn't want to run out of ammo so I only took a couple of shots. I wish now I would have emptied the magazine on them. The BIL was shooting a 300 weatherby and shot right over them, plus he was worried about burning to many of those high dollar rounds.

I will def be going back. but it may be a while. After 7am there was no point in being there but it was fun for that one hour. Maybe right before deer season. ALso there were a ton of deer out there. I bet we scared up 6 in the 2 hours we were at the one area. lots of fun but a dang hard walk and f'n hot.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good to hear there's still hogs at Canton!
Last time I went down there, all I had was a shotgun with slugs.
Haven't had a chance to shoot my new-to-me Rem700 in the field yet.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I decided to give it a try again this morning and had a little better luck this time.

i609.photobucket.com_albums_tt172_tjludwi_TerrellsPig.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom