When to take Does?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
70% of the dove population does not survive 1 year. Hunters account for approximately 1% of that 70%. An insignificant amount.

There are 100s of opinions, possibly none correct, but they work as a whole, somehow. The Buffalo were almost wiped out. As well as other species.

The more we learn, the less we know. Misleading, skewed, cherry picked information and lies to support an agenda, don't help the situation.
So your saying the ODWC biologists are full of it?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
All i want is a doe for now. We have a couple big mature does that don’t appear to have fawns this year. I need to get one before they go on lockdown or get ran off by feisty young bucks.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to take a doe or two in early archery season. First and foremost, it reminds me what a PITA it can be to deal with cleaning a deer. 🤣

I’ve also always been a “if she blows, she goes” fan, and I also love eating deer meat. I enjoy killing does with my bow. If you want to see better rut activity, and you have an over abundance of does on your property, then whack a bunch before the rut. It really does make the bucks work harder to find a receptive doe, and makes them more visible.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several of you have stated if "she blows she goes". While I believe deer are smart animals I can't get entirely on board with taking a doe because she blew at you. She's feeding near your stand and sees you walk in now she will avoid that feeding area for the rest of the season or you are in your ground blind where she can't see you but smells something "not right" and blows so she's gone for the season also? Honestly, no sure i buy into this theory. I hunt on my 45 acres which only about 25 of it are really huntable and during late Summer and all of Fall when I'm prepping my food plots, putting up stands, refilling the feeders and actually hunting the season I unfortunately make does blow at me but they return fairly quickly. I don't think our deer population is strong enough to support this theory or I'd never see deer on my land, especially this time of year. When natural forage dies off enough I feel the deer's natural instict to come to a corn feeder or nice, tall greened up food plot overrides them sniffing you out or seeing you a day or two prior.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several of you have stated if "she blows she goes". While I believe deer are smart animals I can't get entirely on board with taking a doe because she blew at you. She's feeding near your stand and sees you walk in now she will avoid that feeding area for the rest of the season or you are in your ground blind where she can't see you but smells something "not right" and blows so she's gone for the season also? Honestly, no sure i buy into this theory. I hunt on my 45 acres which only about 25 of it are really huntable and during late Summer and all of Fall when I'm prepping my food plots, putting up stands, refilling the feeders and actually hunting the season I unfortunately make does blow at me but they return fairly quickly. I don't think our deer population is strong enough to support this theory or I'd never see deer on my land, especially this time of year. When natural forage dies off enough I feel the deer's natural instict to come to a corn feeder or nice, tall greened up food plot overrides them sniffing you out or seeing you a day or two prior.
You’re taking the statement entirely to literally, but I have and will shoot a doe that has the potential to screw up my buck hunting. I have does blow at me fairly regularly, because I don’t shoot many does which allows for quite a few old smart ones. If/when I do shoot a doe, it’s going to be one that comes in stomping her foot and looking for a “booger”.

AG-Bar

New to the site!
Reaction score
As retrieverman said above, most people probably don't mean it as literal as the saying is. It usually only applies if a deer is way too weary or has figured out your hunting locations. One instance where it applies to me is when you're in a stand and a doe has spotted you and now every other time she comes in she consistently looks up at the stand and or blind and starts blowing and stomping waiting for movement or a reaction. That is the type of behavior I want to get rid of. The does that come in and don't stare at my blind are the ones I like. And yes someone could say conceal myself better, play wind better, or something else and they wouldn't know I am there but I am human with allergies and accidents/sneezes sometimes happen hahaha.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m with okie from a management standpoint kill them before the rut. I wish they would do something like Arkansas and move the “bonus days” up before the rut but having unscrupulous hunters out with a firearm early presents its own challenges . Having said that I still try and kill at least one during the holiday hunt. I get the logic of waiting in hopes of luring bucks in but from a management perspective kill them before the rut. I killed my doe limit this year and still have an abundance of does hammering my plot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom