20 gauge shotgun recoil VS. 12 gauge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Internet search/reading time for Knoxx recoil-reducing stock! Thank you everyone! I be back with more questions.Stephen

The common complaint I hear regarding the Knoxx stock on Mossbergs is that it makes it difficult to reach the safety. If Mr Burns and a spider monkey made a baby, I'd have its hands, so reaching up and around the stock was no problem for me.

Like others have suggested, you should also look into your technique. A Knoxx stock may help, but it's useless if you hurt yourself from poor technique.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if weighting the stock with lead shot would help?

Weight always dampens recoil, but what you're suggesting could negatively affect handling. They do make recoil reducers designed to be put in stocks. IIRC, they usually have some sort of hydraulic buffer to resist recoil impulse.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Due to injuries received while in Iraq I had no choice of going with a 20Ga. My neck just couldn't stand the recoil impulse regardless of type, yes I tried several pump, semi, and O/U guns with differing types of recoil pads. So I went with a Mossberg youth model 20Ga, and added an additional slip-on LimbSaver, besides helping greatly with recoil, its gave me a near perfect LOP. The only 12Ga I still have is my Great grandfathers Winchester 1897. I also have two 20Ga coach guns, great little blasters, their weight manages their recoil nicely.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you don't mind getting into reloading, the perfect skeet gun is the 28 ga. I have known several nationally competitive shooters that shot the 28 in the 12, 20, and 28 events. The shot string in a 28 skeet load is about a foot long, and makes the reduced load devastating on clay targets (dove too).

Recoil is very soft as long as the shotgun is well designed and fits you.

That said, you need to get in touch with someone who can fit a well designed shotgun to you. I have noticed that very often smaller shooters tolerate recoil better than larger individuals.

Where is the elbow on your shooting arm when you fire? If it isn't high, you might as well be wearing a "kick me" sign.

Go to a good skeet club and watch how shooters mount the gun, how they stand, and whether they fight the recoil or roll with it.

I suspect there is no reason you can't use a 12 ga.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
recoil - a couple of ways to lessen the impact
1. i think the main method is to reload your shells. find the right load and you can really reduce reload. i load my 12 and 20 lighter than ANY store bought load on the market.

2. gun weight. some guns are made for hunting, some for skeet, some from trap. if you are into skeet shooting, 50, 100, 125 shells per day, then recoil is an issue and buying a skeet gun make a lot of difference. my skeet gun weights close to 10 lbs. a friend of mine gun weigh closer to 10.5. Shoot a light reload through these guns and recoil is not much of an issue even for 12, especially for 20 or 28, or 410 loads.

come to some of the skeet competitions at the tulsa gun club and ask guys if you can pick up their guns. the weight will amaze you. most of them are over and unders.

shooting skeet with a hunting gun, i.e. light gun, and recoil is an issue.

12 vs 20 gauge - a light 20 can really kick.

semi-auto vs. a HEAVY o/u - a heavy o/u with the right reload is what most skeet shooters choose. semi-auto - at competitions you will see some guys, usually older, that will shoot a semi-auto in the 12 gauge event.

TRAP - again pick up a gun made for trap or go to a competition and pick up one of the competitors guns. VERY heavy.

RELOADS - for skeet - most people will reload not because they save any money, but because they can experiment and find the right light load. a friend of mine and his wife shoot exclusively 12 gauge 3/4 loads.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Weight always dampens recoil, but what you're suggesting could negatively affect handling. They do make recoil reducers designed to be put in stocks. IIRC, they usually have some sort of hydraulic buffer to resist recoil impulse.

Steven, this post and GTG's first post address the issue.
Just to add a littleness info, there are also mercury tubes that help with recoil. They can be inserted into the buttstock, or if shooting an OU, or SXS, it can be inserted into the extra chamber.
This is a pic of mine.

image-1151867634.jpg

Stephen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for their inputs!
The forum is great,great peoples.
The shotgun is for HD, if I ever need to use it, I think I can handle the kick then.
Just want to make the range time a little more enjoyable.
I took box of 100 shells with me to the range,can't even finish the first box of 25, on the 25th shot, I almost close my eyes before I pull the trigger.
Look like I will try the knoxx stock first. Thanks again.Stephen

Latest posts

Top Bottom