20 gauge shotgun recoil VS. 12 gauge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today, shot the 12 gauge first time with 24 federal target load and one PDX1.my shoulder is still hurting 4 hours later.(along with 200 shots of 556)
What do you guys think? Just my technicque or do I need to switch to 20 gauge?
Does 20's easier to handle? Or maybe some of those reduced recoil stuffs any good? Or limbsaver?
Thanks,Stephen

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My shoulder gets tenderized when I shoot volume for skeet, sporting clays etc too by my pump 12 GA. I've been thinking about getting a semi auto pump to reduce the felt recoil.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When skeet shooting i notice the pain in my cheek more than my shoulder. Or atleast thats how it was with my 870. What gun are you using. Does it have a rubber butt pad?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's all in the weight of the gun, action type, stock configuration, bore configuration, charge weight (both powder and payload) of the shell and technique. In other words, there are many variables that effect perceived recoil.

If you want the payload of a 12 bore but less recoil, you'll need to step up to a gas operated autoloader, and even those are not all created equal. I really don't think you're buying yourself much by dropping to a pump in 20ga and a flyweight, recoil operated 20 will still kick like a 12.

The best thing you can do is define what you want the gun to do for you and what you will do with it, and work from there. If not, you'll wind up with a less than ideal compromise.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Shooter fit/gun fit plays a big role in felt recoil as well. During a paired skeet league a few summers ago, my partner and I had to make up 2 rounds from the week before, shoot the current days two rounds, and shoot the next weeks rounds because we would be gone, and it was the last night of league. So we fired 150 rounds in about an hour, me with a 12g O/U, he was shooting a Benelli Super Sport II 12g. Looking at my shoulder, you couldn't tell that I'd fired around, my shooting partner on the other hand, looked like he'd spent and hour with a kangaroo, he was bruised for over a week, should have been the other way around if you were only considering the guns used. I'm 5'9", 230lbs, he's 6'1", 210.

Latest posts

Top Bottom