2012 Wichita Moutain Elk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats, again, and great story. If I EVER manage to drawn in, I think I need to spend some time picking your brain!

So, you took the shot from 606 yards, huh?

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be glad to discuss the hunt with anyone that draws. There seems to be a lot of diversity of terrain in the hunt areas so I could only speak for the G/H areas. Since this is a once in a life time draw, I would encourage everyone to talk with as many folks as they can that have hunted the Wichita moutains before going on the hunt.

606 yards on the nose. I spend a lot of time and money shooting at longer ranges. I've shot this rifle to 1,000 yards on several occasions and to 1 mile when showing it off a bit.

Here's a pic of a steel gong shot at 1,000 yards two days before the hunt. Look closely at the bullseye.

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1k.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's not bad, I know some who been putting in since the start with no draw, !

I would be one of the aforementioned individuals.....one of these days before I die.......

BTW to the OP, thats a great looking bull! He was really old. Did they say he was on the decline? I don't keep up with elk stats as much as deer.

My buddy that has been putting in as long as myself, drew out in 2008. I went as a helper. I helped three other hunters get theirs out while waiting on my hunter to score on the last day.
Everybody chips in to help others.
One guy showed up to hunt with 4 young ladys as his helpers. Had to be an office bet or something. He got LOTS OF OFFERS to help. LOL :D

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The biologist didn't say if he was going down yet. I never realized they live that long. I did some research on the net and found a lot of different life expectancy estimates. Although early 20's seems to be most mentioned life span.

I taped him at 298" as is. IF he was typical on both sides he would go 304"

distantfoe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What was his weight? My buddies was 442lbs.

That's a great question, I ended up with 299lbs taken to the processor.

One of the speakers at the orientation mentioned mature bulls would be in the 450-500lb live weight with the current drought situation. He also mentioned we could expect to get about 50% of the live weight back in meat, if my memory is correct.

Latest posts

Top Bottom