2014 Rut info thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear ya Sticky. The one piece of private land I can hunt is 40 acres, with about 2 of it being usable for deer. I passed up a beautiful 8 point last year and hoped the road hunters/neighbors didn't take him.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't hesitate to let him walk. Who knows, he may follow a doe off somewhere where nobody hunts, hangs out for a while here and there, and makes it back safely and makes throughout the season? Maybe he'll show up for Saddlebum and company :)

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pass on him now, there is a chance he will make it to next year. Shoot him now, there is no chance he will make it till next year. But I completely understand and don't blame you if you do shoot him. Everyone's spots are different and no one rule applies to them all. I try to adhere to the "if I can't mount it, don't shoot it" rule. Try...

ousoonerfan22

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you own a large tract of land I find it almost impossible to manage for mature bucks. If your neighbors won't buy in to letting bucks grow then it's hard for most of those bucks to survive. We have a neighbor to the north that shoots everything that walks by another neighbor to the North East that does the same. Now our neighbor to the south lets a friend hunt and he fills his tags and I hate to complain because what he's doing is a good thing but he's taking several young kids out for their first deer and they are shooting young bucks so it's hard when you pass up young bucks knowing they will be lucky to make it through the season.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with passing young deer 100%, my biggest problem is I can't control my neighbors, which I am sure is a problem everywhere, we had a young 9 point showing up pretty regular last year, looked like he had real potential, he got smoked by the neighbor to the east of me opening day of rifle. Had 2 real up and coming 10 points two years ago, neighbor to the north killed em both, I had passed both of them that year....1 on 3 different occasions. It just gets frustrating but I know that's just the way it is and I deal with it.

I own 360 land locked acres (with easements on the north and south) and have hunting privileges on everything that borders me to the north and west, BUT I have leasers on the south and east that literally set up ON my fences. I fully understand the deal about not being able to control what your neighbors shoot, but I have decided that no matter what my neighbors do I'm going to do the right thing. I didn't kill a buck last year, and on what I knew was my last hunt of the year in OK last year, I passed a high 140's 10 pt that was 3. He was a crumb hustler, and I figured he would get shot during rifle season. He made it and showed back up this year, and I've passed him again. He has the potential to be a real trophy, but he still needs a year or two. If he gets killed, he just wasn't meant for me.

It's just part of hunting small acreages.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing that can help is to have everything your buck needs to stay home. Thick bedding area (sanctuary) is critical, stay out of this area at all costs. Do not pressure deer in this area. It is the safe zone.
Good food, plant food plots, regardless of a good mast crop, food plots will usually have forage all of the winter months. (Might not work as well in major agriculture areas.) Have good summer forage as well.
Year around good forage and a sanctuary will keep deer home. During the rut, having the ladies will help as well. The sanctuary and good food keeps those fat ladies home during that time of year.

I always pass on young bucks, call it cocky, but I want to think I am notch better hunter than my neighbor and if I don't spook the buck over to him and then my neighbor won't get the chance to shoot him. Another thing, visit with the neighbors and ask what there goals are, if they want meat, maybe you can work out giving him a doe or two if he lets the little bucks walk. You would be surprised how many have the thought, well my neighbor will shoot him, I might as well. But, a little communication and you both might be on the same page. Take em some summer sausage and say hi. If he is an azzhole slap him with the sausage and walk away. Lol

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does no one shoot cull bucks? We have a genetic trait of having 4 or 5 on the left and 2 on the right. We shoot those bucks every chance we get.

Latest posts

Top Bottom