2021 Anaconda Initial Impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that the man did better DA than he did SA?
Probably due to the terrible trigger finger he has. Come on, man! You don’t stick half your finger THROUGH the trigger guard!!! It’s the first pad that you use. Otherwise, solid gun and good video. Would take one of those bad boys home and stick it in my safe.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a chance to buy a brand new 3” Python last week, but I decided before I spend $2k on a Colt I’ll save a little more and buy a Korth. :anyone:

You're not wrong. I will give the durability nod to the new Colts (Python and Anaconda specifically), but it is a trade-off to smoothness of the action and a light trigger.

I own four original snake guns, and a few other Colt revolvers on top of that. I was really excited to get my hands on a new Python just to see how smooth it was (post recall). I was even willing to look past the laminate grips, lack of ribbing on the backstrap, laser engraved model designation and QC code on the frame...until I experienced what would be the equivalent of a Ruger GP100 SA trigger in a $1,500 revolver. No thanks.

I have zero experience with Korth or Manurhin, but they seem to have quite the following among current production 'best of the best' fans.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're not wrong. I will give the durability nod to the new Colts (Python and Anaconda specifically), but it is a trade-off to smoothness of the action and a light trigger.

I own four original snake guns, and a few other Colt revolvers on top of that. I was really excited to get my hands on a new Python just to see how smooth it was (post recall). I was even willing to look past the laminate grips, lack of ribbing on the backstrap, laser engraved model designation and QC code on the frame...until I experienced what would be the equivalent of a Ruger GP100 SA trigger in a $1,500 revolver. No thanks.

I have zero experience with Korth or Manurhin, but they seem to have quite the following among current production 'best of the best' fans.

My limited experience comparing the new with the old is just the opposite. I don't have any older Pythons but I do have one of the new ones. Neighbor has two older Pythons from the 80s I believe. No noticeable difference between the SA pull on old vs new. But we both thought the DA pull on the new one was smoother and maybe slightly lighter...I thought they were about the same, he thought the new one was lighter. We both thought the length of the trigger pull was just a little shorter on the new one.

Aesthetically, there's no comparison. The new Python is a nice looking gun...but not nearly as nicely finished as the originals.

I had a Korth .357 come thru my shop on consignment years ago. Nice gun...but in my opinion not nearly as nice as a Python in looks or function. No idea how it shoots...but I did get some substantial hands-on time with it.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just what I have read online, the new Anaconda supposed to be better fit and finished than the previous model.
I thumbed through an article from John Taffin. He wrote that he couldn't compare the factory trigger pulls because he had his old model worked on years ago.
On my Anacondas, the trigger was actually pretty good, I thought.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My limited experience comparing the new with the old is just the opposite. I don't have any older Pythons but I do have one of the new ones. Neighbor has two older Pythons from the 80s I believe. No noticeable difference between the SA pull on old vs new. But we both thought the DA pull on the new one was smoother and maybe slightly lighter...I thought they were about the same, he thought the new one was lighter. We both thought the length of the trigger pull was just a little shorter on the new one.

Aesthetically, there's no comparison. The new Python is a nice looking gun...but not nearly as nicely finished as the originals.

I had a Korth .357 come thru my shop on consignment years ago. Nice gun...but in my opinion not nearly as nice as a Python in looks or function. No idea how it shoots...but I did get some substantial hands-on time with it.

Pre or post-recall new Python? I've never handled any of the ones before the recall that came out, but supposedly they had equivalent triggers to the originals. However. I know my experience with the heavy factory SA pull is shared by quite a few.

Either way, the new ones seem to be more durable...and they are attainable. I got my original Python and Anaconda years ago for less than a new one is now. That ain't happening anymore, and for the price they're going for I don't see the reason to get one. I bought a LNIB Diamondback a few years ago for $1,800 and that hurt to do so.

Like you, I have a 29-2...and I'll wager that it is better than my 1991 Anaconda too.

20210505_202919.jpg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom