2024 Deer Season Stories/Pics/Etc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearSitsInTheWoods

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got sticker shock this afternoon when I found out what my preferred taxidermist is charging this year. He’s up $175 (21%) from what he charged in 2020…which given the economy and the way other things have gone up probably isn’t bad, but the price kind of made me rethink whether I really want to shoulder mount him or not.

Before anyone starts suggesting cheaper taxidermists, I’ve had 15+/- bucks mounted over the last 35 years, and I know what decent, good, and great taxidermy work looks like. All taxidermists aren’t created equal. There are at least a couple guys locally that charge less, and I might use them if I kill a decent deer east TX. However, there’s no way I’d let them mount an Oklahoma buck that’s going to be on the wall beside my 2004 and 2020 bucks done by world class taxidermists.

Ok, I got that off my chest, and I’m just going to have to grin and grit my teeth as I pay the guy. Once it’s done and on the wall, I probably won’t think about it again.
Guy I use is one of the best in the nation wins all kinds of ribbons. He will also keep your mount longer than he should with no communication taking it to shows. If you’re that into taxidermy you’ve probably heard of him.
With that buck though I don’t know why you wouldn’t do the euro yourself! All kidding aside that is a freak show!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm one that likes to take the big buck in late rut after given the chance to spread his genes. Our doe to buck ratio is somewhere around 45 does to every buck so they don't fight much for a hot doe.
Consequently, the racks aren't broken like areas with a more favorable buck to doe ratio.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Guy I use is one of the best in the nation wins all kinds of ribbons. He will also keep your mount longer than he should with no communication taking it to shows. If you’re that into taxidermy you’ve probably heard of him.
With that buck though I don’t know why you wouldn’t do the euro yourself! All kidding aside that is a freak show!
Same here, drop mine off in November usually and get it back the next Sept-November. Picking up last year's buck tomorrow actually.

Latest posts

Top Bottom